Elderflower Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barleylass

Reaction score
I have made an Elderflower Wine. This has now stopped fermenting and on racking off I checked the gravity (twice) and it was 0.086 which seems extremely low? I used Young’s all purpose white wine yeast. I am happy to back sweeten later after stopping but just wondering why it might have gone so low. It does actually taste quite nice already, although I will leave it for at least 6 months. I used the Brewbitz recipe but stupidly forgot to take an OG reading.
ingredients:
- 1pint of Elderflower petals (50g dried Elderflowers if out of season)
- 8 pints boiling water
- 3lb Sugar
- 1/2lb Raisins
- Grated rind of 2 Lemons
- Juice of the 2 Lemons (Or 2 tsp Citric Acid)
- Campden Tablets
- 1tsp Wine Tanning (or 150ml of Stewed Tea)
- 1tsp All Purpose White Wine Yeast
- 1tsp Yeast Nutrient

I’m not an expert, but do make the occasional wine. I think that most wines finish at just below the1.0 mark, (I stand to be corrected). If it tastes ok now, I would suggest it’s probably best not to mess about with it.

I’m not an expert, but do make the occasional wine. I think that most wines finish at just below the1.0 mark, (I stand to be corrected). If it tastes ok now, I would suggest it’s probably best not to mess about with it.
Thanks. I think I will leave in demijohn a few months and see what it is like then.

Back