Elections.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lets agree on the second point that under normal circumstances the name used would not be a issue in banter, sporty sledging and joking but as I have said it was used in a very negative sentence and not in any of the situations you have pointed out which I have said would not have been a issue on this forum.

The OP was telling me that this person was an Austrailan and that is factual - it isn't an insult to be an Australian - I quite like them.

This isn't really about that and you know it.

The problem here is the OP told members because Foxy is Australian to ignore his opinion that's not how we do things here if Foxy (or any other member) wants to post his/her opinion on anything (within the rules) he/she is welcome to do so if members don't agree with them they have every right to post and explain why, telling members to ignore Foxy was wrong and i am not surprised The Baron picked him up on it i would have done the same had i seen it earlier.

Last edited:

The problem here is the OP told members because Foxy is Australian to ignore his opinion that's not how we do things here if a member wants to post his opinion on anything (within the rules) he/she is welcome to do so if members don't agree with their opinion they have every right to discuss it but telling other members to ignore him was wrong and i am not surprised The Baron picked him up on it i would have done the same had i seen it earlier.
Exactly it is not about the shortened name being used it is how it was used in a negative sentence and that part being the main issue is do not tell other members to ignore another member tell them yourself with a appropriate dialogue

The problem here is the OP told members because Foxy is Australian to ignore his opinion that's not how we do things here if Foxy (or any other member) wants to post his/her opinion on anything (within the rules) he/she is welcome to do so if members don't agree with them they have every right to post and explain why, telling members to ignore Foxy was wrong and i am not surprised The Baron picked him up on it i would have done the same had i seen it earlier.

You seem to be conflating too different parts of the message. Yes he told me he was Australian and that appears to be factual - I don't think we are in disagreement in regards to this - that was helpful to me on how I would/will respond to him/her infuture as I don't need to argue about whether the boat is sinking with people not on the boat. I do not intend, nor would I ever intend to stop people voicing their opinions but if they are not in the game but are from by-standers it makes a difference in my opinion "I vote for pizza for us all" "but you aren't eating" "nope but I vote for pizza".

The part you appear to take umbridge at is the part where the OP tells me to ignore them. I ignored this part because I am currently a freeman. I can see why you might want, in the interests of keeping the peace to tell the OP that they can't tell someone else, i.e. me, to ignore someone in case A) I followed orders or B) th person in question got upset. That I can understand.

Exactly it is not about the shortened name being used it is how it was used in a negative sentence and that part being the main issue is do not tell other members to ignore another member tell them yourself with a appropriate dialogue
I can asure you that if I am told to ignore someone I will almost certainly do the opposite :cool:

I hate this division in our politics
I truly do.!!!
We are one people.Its simple we want the best for ourselves and our kids.I don't know why politicians cant understand that.

So no one to be called a
Brit
Yank
Kiwi
Pole
Storm in a tea cup and thanks Lesinge for your comment sense and support.

I see there is going to be a by-election in Batley - only ever been Conservative once (1992, funnily enough, as I sort of think of that of the era when their support was in the way down before the 97 Labour landslide). Surely Labour won't loose this one? I think they should hold it as Brabin was popular enough to win the mayoral election, what do people think?

So no one to be called a
Brit
Yank
Kiwi
Pole
You can me a Paddy if you want.

I don't know a lot about English politics at the moment (I'm an Irish resident).
However it does seem the incumbent parties in Wales, England & Scotland did well because of the successful vaccination roll-out.
Been a successful opposition must be an impossible task at the moment (in England).
Wether Johnson can hold together his new voters in the North of England and traditional tory voters in the South will be revealed once Covid has passed and the economic realites of the lock-down & Brexit bite.

On a side note my wife occasionally refers to me a a 'Stinky Irish.'

So no one to be called a
Brit
Yank
Kiwi
Pole

Well as has been said a few times now the main point wasn't about shortening his countries name as explained in post #182 but having said that would you have done the same had he been from Pakistan?

Last edited:
You can me a Paddy if you want.

I don't know a lot about English politics at the moment (I'm an Irish resident).
However it does seem the incumbent parties in Wales, England & Scotland did well because of the successful vaccination roll-out.
Been a successful opposition must be an impossible task at the moment (in England).
Wether Johnson can hold together his new voters in the North of England and traditional tory voters in the South will be revealed once Covid has passed and the economic realites of the lock-down & Brexit bite.

On a side note my wife occasionally refers to me a a 'Stinky Irish.'

Yep, Boris is untouchable at the moment even if the much vaulted fish industry (which we were happy to sacrifice our car industry and Finance sector for) has been well and truely stuffed by Brexit. We shall see how long he lasts in the north when A) The Magic benefits fail to appear and B) all those pesky east Europeans "coming over here and taking our jobs" are replaced by peopel from further afield at even lower wages.

My wife thinks I shouldn't use Pom because it is an insult (she is a Saffa and they call us that) - I told her that the English don't care what people call them...we wear insults like that as some sort of badge of honour and that as we have centuries of inventing rude names for people we aren't surprised that people have names for us! BTW the Aussies have names for every nation..some of which surprised me! Also my Mother's family are Irish - I am going there next year (to the south) for the first time in my life..strange really as it is so close.

expand...
Well as has been said a few times now the main point wasn't about shortening his countries name as explained in post #182 but having said that would you have done the same had he been from Pakistan?

Context. The short name for Pakistan has been an insult for decades and my friend who comes from Pakistan hates it and pronounces the country Parkistan. Aussi on the other hand is how they descibe themselves as in Ossie, Ossie Ossie Oi Oi Oi

How to speak Australian : Abbreviate Everything - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
Most Irish think he's a gobsh1te.

Which part???

I hate Boris too but it doesn't do any good! My Grandmothers (and Mother's) people come from just north of Dungarvan so we will go there and then go across to Kerry (Portmagee area) where my Grandfathers family came from. We will also visit Dublin as I have friends there.

Context. The short name for Pakistan has been an insult for decades and my friend who comes from Pakistan hates it and pronounces the country Parkistan. Aussi on the other hand is how they descibe themselves as in Ossie, Ossie Ossie Oi Oi Oi

How to speak Australian : Abbreviate Everything - YouTube

I thought it was obvious that post 191 was answering the cat not you I thought you said earlier you were out.

As Chippy says stop sidestepping the main issue that a member told other members to ignore a member that is the main issue so stop trying to keep a argument going if CC hadn't used the abbreviation which may or may not have been taken as a insult I would of still stepped in

I hate Boris too but it doesn't do any good! My Grandmothers (and Mother's) people come from just north of Dungarvan so we will go there and then go across to Kerry (Portmagee area) where my Grandfathers family came from. We will also visit Dublin as I have friends there.
Dungarvan is lovely. If you have the chance go to Dunmore East, lovely little area (it's where they filmed Saving Private Ryan).
The part of Kerry you mentioned is amazing. The scenery is absolutely stunning. If you have time do the RIng of Kerry.

Dublin is great for beer. Porterhouse had a great selction as does J W Sweetman.

As for the Gobsh1tes, just ignore...........

Dungarvan is lovely. If you have the chance go to Dunmore East, lovely little area (it's where they filmed Saving Private Ryan).
The part of Kerry you mentioned is amazing. The scenery is absolutely stunning. If you have time do the RIng of Kerry.

Dublin is great for beer. Porterhouse had a great selction as does J W Sweetman.

As for the Gobsh1tes, just ignore...........

Thanks, I will add your recommendations to my itenary. I am hoping to pick up some Irish Craft ales whilst there..whatever craft ales mean :cool:

Back