Elections.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you. A lot of truths in this though a heavy self indignant bias I think, fair enough, what one believes is their identity. Afraid I disagree about "deeply about corrupt and morally bankrupt", what evidence is there of this?

I think I'm pretty balanced in my hatred of both the Labour and Conservative parties, to be fair! :laugh8:

As for the corrupt and morally bankrupt character of the Tory party, you can find evidence from any part of its history. It's their raison d'etre. Austerity is the big one from the last decade, as they made the poorest take the hit for the failings of neoliberal capitalism - and made it acceptable. But, from the last 12 months, take your pick from:
- initial 'herd immunity' response to Covid
- allowing a non-elected individual (Cummings) to hold considerable political power, access to data, etc.
- cronyism (the essence of the Tory party) - giving contracts to mates with inadequate experience for PPE and so on, clear transfer of wealth from the public purse to private hands. Boris, Hancock, Sunak have all been at it, Cameron's dodgy dealings with the government also, looking to increase personal wealth on the back of Covid
- prioritising the 'economy' at the expense of public health throughout Covid
- take your pick from any Boris's sleaze: the interior decor scandal, his dealings with the American businesswoman, anything - he is clearly a debased and self-centred man

Thank you, I appreciate your viewpoint

I think the country had to cut its cloth to what was necessary to re-balance the books after the free tax and borrow and spend spending of the Blair and Brown labour part. It did affect the poorest most but then most things do of course. It also affected society as a whole as there was less state spending through society Furlough is supposed to help with the poorer and more financially time (day to day week to week finance) exposed that through the pandemic, I think that is a success.

I do not like Cummings as much as most people (though I do not know the man of course), but I am not sure who he could do the job he was asked to without access to data to do so.

PPE there was so much criticism and baiting on PPE not being available and we need it yesterday, that are you really that surprised normal procurement rules and thee time they take were accelerated? Indeed where is the proof on this, accusations and alleged statements are soundbites but not proof.

Prioritising the economy over health on the back of the pandemic, I think the heath response has been better than most people expected...and the economy is important as it drives pretty much everything including tax revenue.

Boris, i realise there are so many different views on Boris there is in most if not all politicians. Starmer gets as much. Again lots of alleged this and that but no proof, if there was he would be gone pretty quick.

I think Starmer is a metropolitan lawyer is most peoples view, whiny too which does himself no favour in the electorate.

I think the country had to cut its cloth to what was necessary to re-balance the books after the free tax and borrow and spend spending of the Blair and Brown labour part. It did affect the poorest most but then most things do of course.

I strongly disagree with this. The 'Labour spent it all' thing is purely spin - and I say this as someone who despises Blairism. The banks/capitalism collapsed (effectively due to inherent corruption) and Brown made an ideological decision to bail them out. The Tories then made an ideological decision to reduce the spend on the poorest in society, and transfer as much of the state/public money into private hands as possible. They made this politically acceptable through the press and the 'Labour spends all the money - can't trust them' line, which has stuck. Austerity wasn't necessary - government finances are very complex and can't be thought of as balancing things out as in household or small business finances, which is what was painted at the time (and still is). National debt actually rose during austerity. What was the outcome: exponential rises in homelessness, poverty, food banks - the fact that we have food banks in such a developed economy is an outrage, limited job opportunities, decline in social mobility, huge increase in inequality, a punitive welfare state, underfunded health service, etc., etc.

Prioritising the economy over health on the back of the pandemic, I think the heath response has been better than most people expected...and the economy is important as it drives pretty much everything including tax revenue.

The UK has one of the highest covid death rates in the world - it could only be described as better than expected if we had aimed to be no.1 for deaths in the world.

Re Boris, PPE corruption and cronyism - there has been substantial evidence of this over the past few months, and it has had a lot of coverage. However, it goes to show the Tories' hegemony at the moment that it doesn't stick and makes no impression on the electorate (in England, at least).

I agree with you on Starmer in that he is not someone who can connect with the electorate. He was installed as leader as he is someone who symbolises the identity/ideology of the PLP. He is also an extremely weak politician, and is too spineless to critique the government/too ideologically aligned to do so.

I completely agree with everything Darlacat says. One other point about the caricature of Boris Johnson as a loveable buffon is his name. Everyone, and I mean everyone including the media and a lot of the opposition calls him Boris. I don't think this has ever happened with a Prime Minister and just adds to and reinforces the illusion.

I completely agree with everything Darlacat says. One other point about the caricature of Boris Johnson as a loveable buffon is his name. Everyone, and I mean everyone including the media and a lot of the opposition calls him Boris. I don't think this has ever happened with a Prime Minister and just adds to and reinforces the illusion.

Spot on. I also think the 'Boris' caricature is one of the key reasons that the Tories are able garner such widespread support in England at the moment - I doubt they could do this with a Gove or Sunak at the wheel.

Have I Got News For You has a lot to answer for...

Thank you, I appreciate your viewpoint

I think the country had to cut its cloth to what was necessary to re-balance the books after the free tax and borrow and spend spending of the Blair and Brown labour part.

Didn't the Cameron/Osbourne governmwnt borrow more money?

There's nothing wrong with taxation and borrowing money and spending it creates stimulus and I'd rather money was borrowed and spent, creating jobs and generating wealth than money borrowed and wated in creating tax breaks for the rich.

Maybe if the government closed the loopholes that allowed so many individuals and companies avoid paying what they owe in tax, they'd need to borrow less.

Now we are in the age of the Orks we have to expect this and so much, much more.!!!

Enjoy the ride.

image.jpeg

Re Boris, PPE corruption and cronyism - there has been substantial evidence of this over the past few months, and it has had a lot of coverage. However, it goes to show the Tories' hegemony at the moment that it doesn't stick and makes no impression on the electorate (in England, at least).
Not evidence, It is allegation and there is no proof.

I looked after a friend of mine with lung cancer
Yes help is available UNTIL you ask,Then its a sharp intake of breath
,He is dead now for 2yrs which is why i can say this.
Mind you he lived in poverty,It was hard to sit with him in his flat with the heating either off or on at at miser rate.
In the highlands of Scotland (the coldest place in the British isles.)

No one should have to choose between food or heating while the energy companies make the profits they do but what can we do about it.

When the fuel hit is high a few years ago someone tried to start a fight back for the people to force the petrol companies to bring the price down the suggestion was to pick one fuel station and everyone boycott all others until they had a genuine price war instead of the joke we have today where they are all basically the same price, as you will have realised it didn't work I thought it was a great idea but I guess organising it was too big a job.

Chippy you are right (previous message)
As a kid I did a lot for the old folks around the area.
Its not lack of money that's the problem.Its just they cant do the things they once could.
I am very supportive of young people to help the aged.

Latest posts

Back