Electric Coffee machines (under £100)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Having read through the espresso machine thread and seeing the coffee fans saying anything under £250 is a waste of time (some spent £500) i wondered if any members have one of the cheaper end coffee machines and wondered how you rate them.

It doesn't matter if you spent a bit more than £100 ;)

SWMBO has been toying with the idea of getting a coffee machine for a while and on a recommendation from work colleague we now have this -

I was sceptical but at *£29.00 but it was worth a gamble and having just tried my first ever Costa Gingerbread coffee i have to admit i am impressed, i havent drunk coffee in years as i went off instant but i think i will now be drinking a lot more, SWMBO got the Costa Americano to try.

*£29.00 Save £60.99 Was £89.99 (from 23/09/20 to 09/11/20)

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/house...1102gb-coffee-machine-black-10209367-pdt.html

Last edited:
I have a Tassimo and quite like the coffee out of it, although I only stick to latte. The only gripe I have is that you have to get their pods whereas on the Nespresso machines I think there are compatible pods available so you can get to try other stuff.

I had a Tassimo (still have it) and used it for 2 - 3 years. It makes lovely coffee and there is a good range of coffee for it. the only downside was the cost, and waste, of the pods. I found, in the long run, that a decent quality De'longhi - or similar - espresso machine works out cheaper. But if you don't mind the cost of the pods, it makes very good coffee - enjoy it!

. But if you don't mind the cost of the pods, it makes very good coffee - enjoy it!

They are quite expensive but when you compare a cup made in one of these machines to what you would pay in a high street coffee shop I doubt there's much in it, I normally drink tea so will have an occasional coffee so price isn't really an issue, the recycling does need sorting I believe they can be recycled in other countries.

I had a Dolce Gusto machine a while back with the pods but stopped using it. Think I just found instant coffee easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife drinks a lot of coffee, 2-3 a day, I will have 1 as well. We went through 2 dolce gusto machine and 2 Delonghi micalite. All of the break down after around 2-3 years. They just start leaking in different places. And I couldn't get the parts to replace. Now we bough bit more expensive espresso machine from Sage - I hope it will last.
If not next will be Gaggia classic, that can be repaired and spare parts are accessible - wife just doesn't like how it looks

But if you can get something for £29 that last 2 years, I would say you will have a good run. I might buy it for my work office. Like idea of Baileys coffee :)

A few in work have the Tassimo..a chap just bought a new one although his older machine has run for 5 years plus with no bother..he says clean and descale regularly is the key.

A few in work have the Tassimo..a chap just bought a new one although his older machine has run for 5 years plus with no bother..he says clean and descale regularly is the key.

Thanks Clint.

I had a good look at the instructions later last night and as you have posted descaling needs to be done to keep it working properly.

When the Calc LED (I've arrowed below) lights you put a couple of descaling tablets in the water tank and run the machine a couple of times then rinse. thumb.

tass.jpg

Attachments

• 1606927818918.png
    1606927818918.png
    108.3 KB · Views: 52
I descaled the baby's Prep machine thing with distilled white vinegar which could be an option for you. Never descaled or cleaned my espresso machine I bet it's right manky now.

I bought the Tassimo for £29 in Tesco just before Xmas. I’ve been looking at purchasing a pod coffee machine for a while and when I saw one at that price I took a punt. I’m not a big coffee fan and don’t drink that much, but I do like the flavoured ones. This machine is great value for money and produces a great cup of coffee to the average coffee drinker. I’m looking forward to trying some different flavours.

I have a one of these...

https://www.dolce-gusto.co.uk/coffee-machines/genio-2-krups-automatic-titanium
the mk I version we have had for 2-3 years now after discovering it in our centre parcs cottage a few years ago.

amazingly good coffee. beats the pants out of costa in our opinion. Only verdi's in mumbles and cafe nero coffee's compare with it. it's about 25p a cup for a single pod or 50p for a 2 pod coffee. It shows up what rubbish is often served in coffee shops, where they wave a bean somewhere near a mug of hot water.

There were only a couple of varieties of pods when we bought ours but now there is a big range of them including a few different chocolates.

It it's ready in an instant (no pun intended) and auto shuts off. press a button and leave. saves me a good 5 mins in the morning every morning. Me & Mrs DOJ love it. If it broke down we'd have to replace it pronto. We drink less coffee since owning it because we used to drink instant (kenco -columbian/costa rican) but now every coffee is a treat.

I bought the Tassimo for £29 in Tesco just before Xmas. I’ve been looking at purchasing a pod coffee machine for a while and when I saw one at that price I took a punt. I’m not a big coffee fan and don’t drink that much, but I do like the flavoured ones. This machine is great value for money and produces a great cup of coffee to the average coffee drinker. I’m looking forward to trying some different flavours.

We are impressed with ours it has turned an X coffee drinker into a coffee drinker again, I have tried a couple of flavours and like Vanilla the most so far.

I wouldn’t be separated from my Nespresso I think the coffee is much better than the Tassimo. But the Tassimo is still great coffee.

Latest posts

Back