Electric Coffee machines (under £100)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We love our Nespresso machine, an Inissia by Magimix. Makes great cappuccino. If you order pods from Nespresso they will collect and recycle the empties. But it was £200 with the milk frother. It's still going strong after four years. Under £100 today without the frother.

For tea, we have boiling water dispenser from Breville that dispenses just the right amount for a cuppa and tea bag.

I also have a little gizmo which separates the coffee from the pod - so you put the aluminium in the recycling and the coffee in the compost. My Nespresso machine cost 70 pounds - if you register it they will repair for free but mine has been going for years. There is a deal at the moment if you subscribe to buy a certain amount of coffee for a year you get a free machine.

I used a Nespresso for several years as a quick way to have a half decent coffee before my dash to work. Long enough infact for one to break down & have to be replaced. The range of coffees is appealing but I found that I preferred to stick to one variety once I found my favourite.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn’t be separated from my Nespresso I think the coffee is much better than the Tassimo. But the Tassimo is still great coffee.

They are a bit dearer than the Tassimo machines but i do like the design particularly the water tank being on the side

Could i ask members to keep to the thread description and my post in it (below) if members want to discuss more expensive or stove top type machines feel free to open a thread i am trying to keep this one on Electric Coffee machines around the £100 mark as a guide for people like me (X coffee drinker sick of instant coffee) who wouldn't have thought about buying one of these machines and who is now glad i did.

Electric Coffee machines (under £100)
Having read through the expresso machine thread and seeing the coffee fans saying anything under £250 is a waste of time (some spent £500) i wondered if any members have one of the cheaper end coffee machines and wondered how you rate them.

It doesn't matter if you spent a bit more than £100 ;)

Last edited:
Top tip if you’re buying a Nespresso machine, buy one that takes the original pods as Nestle don’t have a patent on them (which means you can buy generic ones from elsewhere). The newer Vertuso ones (the larger shaped pods) they have a patent (like Tassimo do with their T-Discs) and so you can only get branded ones.

Top tip if you’re buying a Nespresso machine, buy one that takes the original pods as Nestle don’t have a patent on them (which means you can buy generic ones from elsewhere). The newer Vertuso ones (the larger shaped pods) they have a patent (like Tassimo do with their T-Discs) and so you can only get branded ones.

Thanks, great advice.

I have a bog standard cheap filter machine with a timer from Argos so it brews while getting ready for work. I’ve not tried many capsule coffees - sister-in-law has an expensive machine capsule which produces tiny amounts of indifferent coffee. Mine produces four big mugs of excellent Columbian bean juice.

Bit like single can kit versus AG argument to me - if you like the kit it’s fine.

Could i ask members to keep to the thread description and my post in it (below) if members want to discuss more expensive or stove top type machines feel free to open a thread i am trying to keep this one on Electric Coffee machines around the £100 mark as a guide for people like me (X coffee drinker sick of instant coffee) who wouldn't have thought about buying one of these machines and who is now glad i did.
Having read through the expresso machine thread and seeing the coffee fans saying anything under £250 is a waste of time (some spent £500) i wondered if any members have one of the cheaper end coffee machines and wondered how you rate them.

It doesn't matter if you spent a bit more than £100 ;)

SWMBO has been toying with the idea of getting a coffee machine for a while and on a recommendation from work colleague we now have this -

I was sceptical but at *£29.00 but it was worth a gamble and having just tried my first ever Costa Gingerbread coffee i have to admit i am impressed, i havent drunk coffee in years as i went off instant but i think i will now be drinking a lot more, SWMBO got the Costa Americano to try.

*£29.00 Save £60.99 Was £89.99 (from 23/09/20 to 09/11/20)

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/house...1102gb-coffee-machine-black-10209367-pdt.html

Hi Chippy_Tea, I too love good coffee and its discussion, but cannot stop myself from gently making a little correction nudge.
I believe there is no 'x' in 'espresso'.
It's substitution is becoming a pervasive error and must be squeezed out with adequate pressure. Then we will reach the foamy headed uplands that are espresso heaven.
Sounds much like good beer when you think about it.
Have a Happy New Year,
Robin.

The Nespresso machines currently come with 100 pods which is a good offer. I just bought a Vertuo for £75.

I have a standard filter coffee machine that is now in the roof as a spare.
I didn't like how much coffee it used, and the temptation is to leave the jug in there which develops a burned or stale taste. But you can use whatever coffee you like.
I have a Bosch espresso machine which I use daily to make 2 cups at a time, by using about 2 tablespoons of coffee and letting it run until the cups are full enough. I find this is the most economical way of making coffee.
My son has a Dolce gusto Fontana machine, and a Tassimo. Both are very good at making "fancy" coffee with large creamy heads or weird flavours. You can even buy Starbucks brand coffee pods for them and some are a good alternative to starbucks coffee.
But the downside is you are stuck to buying the pods for them, and turns out very expensive compared to just buying beans, plus the waste is high. I can at least compost all my used coffee grounds, and beside coffee bags there is no waste with a standard espresso machine.
I also don't like the UHT taste of the coffee from the pods. There is no getting away from that taste with the pods, and for all you know you could just be buying sawdust and coffee flavouring in those pods.

So I think the pod idea is good for hotels and work places which make it easier to have a selection available, but for home use I prefer the loose ground coffee in a standard espresso machine for a wider choice and lower cost with less waste.

Oh, and if you use a tassimo machine with older milk pods the thing gums up - and won't let you open the lid to solve the problem. I had to take mine apart to depressurise it, so after the first time doing this I drilled a hole to access the safety interlock (left side of the lid part) so I have manual override if it does it again...which it will.

But the downside is you are stuck to buying the pods for them, and turns out very expensive compared to just buying beans,

At 50p a cup i don't consider them very expensive but probably would if i was drinking several cups a day, i mainly drink tea (new PG strong teabags being my favourite) if i drank several cups of coffee a day i would probably look at a different machine or method of making coffee, i look at the Tassimo machine as making a nice coffee i wouldn't normally drink at a price much lower than if i went into one of those high-street chains.

Last edited:
I have two Nespresso and find them reliable. I did own a B2C machine but it was not reliable. I've also seen B2C machines on ships that were unreliable. The Italian espresso machines were pretty good but had no moving parts.

I view the machine as saving me a small fortune on starbucks or costa or other coffee shops whilst minimising at present any possibility of spreading c19.

I miss the cakes & desserts at certain establishments more than the coffee TBH. At present its £3 for a box of 16 dolce dusto pods in Tesco which is 18.75p a pod - so 37.5p for a two pod coffee. I'm not sure how much more i'd save with a proper ground coffee machine plus I'm more than happy with this step up from instant. - Id recommend an auto switch off machine. press the button and butter your toast when its making your coffee 🙂

Latest posts

Back