Electric Kettle - cooling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeBrewer_UK

Reaction score
Hi,

I am planning to buy a 30 l burco kettle for home brew but wasnt sure how best to cool the wort.

i live in a flat and dont have any use for the circulated warm water. And i dont feel comfortable pouring clean water through the drain...

One solution i though was transferring the wort into another (heat resistant) container which i can dip into cold/icy water, Would that work in terms of brew quality and is the risk of contamination manageable in your opinion?

Thanks in advance.

The Physicist in me thinks that cooling such a volume of liquid in that way would take some time, though I don't have hands on experience of this. Also, I'd be more worried about the waste of energy freezing sufficient water to make ice only to melt it again than I would running the clean water away. Could you run the clean water from a wort chiller in to the bath and add some bubbles to have a nice soak (I appreciate you may not have a bath in a flat)?

Lots of members utilise a "no chill cube." Basically, transferring hot wort to a sealed heat proof container (often some kind of a plastic jerry can that can contract). There are pros and cons to this. I prefer to chill my wort rapidly but lots have used the above method with success.

If you don't have a chiller, the above method is likely your best bet. I've tried cooling 10l wort in a bath and it was not fun so any larger volume must be very slow down to 18/19c. Also lifting boiling wort is never a good plan if possible.

I justify the wasted water on the basis that I've reused the same bottles 80+ times and beer isn't having to be transported across the country to my house...wink...

Very much appreciated - really hearing others’ view and experience is very baluable. Sabings from bottles, energy wasted from freezng are the stuff i had not appreciate. I think i will go back to researching the wort chillers then :)

thanks again

It's definitely one of the best purchases you will make to avoid stress at the end of a brewday

Back