Electric kettle or stock pot?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason42

Reaction score
So I want to try an all grain brew using the BIAB method. I’ve read a lot of threads on here and a good guide book so I’m happy I’ve understood the method. Question is, do I start with a 36l induction hob stock pot (found one on eBay for £55) or do I buy an electric temp controlled one for £140ish? Any thoughts?

Your hob may vary but on my induction hob I find it is hard to maintain a rolling boil above fifteen litre fine for 10-11L batches I typically do, but given you are looking at a 36L pot I’m assuming you are looking at 20L plus batches so a temp controlled boiler seems a better bet.

I have one of these https://www.klarstein.co.uk/Home-ap...0L-LED-Display-Timer-304-Stainless-Steel.html I do 21L batches in it, you need to buy a bag, you get a tenner off just sign the news letter
That’s the one I was looking at
Your hob may vary but on my induction hob I find it is hard to maintain a rolling boil above fifteen litre
Good point.
I guess I’ll save up for the Klarstein option. Thanks for the advice everyone.

I'm having the same dilemma Jason but reading this thread, i'm swaying towards the Klarstein option as well!

I can get a 2 litre per hour boil off with 25 litres with my induction hotplate set at 1500 watts, half of the full power. I don't have a stainless pot. I do it in a polypropylene fermenter with a stainless saucepan lid inside it. I also tried a stainless dish I got from the poundshop and that worked just as well.

Basically you can convert any food safe fermenter into a boiler for a quid if you've got an induction unit.

I've a 15 litre stock pot, and if worked right via grain usage can get anything from a 10l to about a 20l (maybe slightly more) brew in the fv after adding extra water in the fv. Yes it's time consuming, but I use the gas stove in the kitchen and have to get a happy balance between ability to boil on the gas stove against volume and boil times etc. Not saying I won't upgrade at some point, but if trying to get into all grain for the first time I'd say try a cheap stock pot option before fully buying into ag with much more expensive setups.

I have worked my way up the induction ladder.

We now have two Buffalo CE208's (one in the kitchen) They are brilliant and with my 22l Indpot (now stolen by my partner for the restaurant, it works so well, but no taps!) But my 50l Brewbuilder has 5 triclamp fittings and is so versatile. Best purchase yet with a ss basket or bags and a 25l no-chill cube.

We now have two Buffalo CE208
What's the output ramping on the 208 and the minimum? It doesn't show it in the manual and it looks like 500 is the minimum from everything I see online. And does it pulse rather than stay on up until a certain wattage?

I picked up an 825 on the cheap last month and I love it. I get true wok hei on my chow mein, it's absolute restaurant quality now. Aaaaand of course a full volume boil at last - woohoo!

I’ve decided to throw in a bit of overtime this month and treat myself to a Klarstein or something similar next monthwink.... If I keep it quiet until it’s too late to argue I think I can get away with it...

Last edited:

Slightly off topic and please excuse my ignorance but I don’t know what purpose a false bottom serves. I have this Peco boiler without a false bottom and have now done over a dozen good BIAB brews with it. Does it stay in place all the time? Does it act as a filter when tapping of the cooled wort or is it just a barrier between the bag and the element?

Back