Elephant beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshbrewer

Out on the marshes, wailing at the moon.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone tried this before? My mate gave me a couple of cans (he'd ordered a case from Amazon as it's not generally available in the UK) and it's quite a surprise. I was expecting undrinkable sickly alcohol and treacle, but it's malty, some bitterness and obviously an alcohol kick (it is 10.5% after all).

Two cans is plenty, however!

Named after the elephants on the gate of tge brewery isnt it? Or is that b@@llocks?

I had a bottle in about 1989 at the brewery also. It was about 7% then whilst special brew not sold in Denmark was 9%.

Anyone tried this before? My mate gave me a couple of cans (he'd ordered a case from Amazon as it's not generally available in the UK) and it's quite a surprise. I was expecting undrinkable sickly alcohol and treacle, but it's malty, some bitterness and obviously an alcohol kick (it is 10.5% after all).

Two cans is plenty, however!

That's interesting. It's available on the supermarket shelves here, but it's only 7.2%. Haven't tried it, but I'll get a can next time I'm out.
https://www.beertime.fr/carlsberg/biere-elephant-by-carlsberg/biere-elephant-by-carlsberg

I had a bottle in about 1989 at the brewery also. It was about 7% then whilst special brew not sold in Denmark was 9%.

There are two versions, Elephant and Elephant extra Strong, the op has the latter. It’s available in a lot of supermarkets in Germany, although the stronger version is a lot less common.

This can is 7.5%. Very boozy on the imbibe. Mouthfeel is ok. Taste is lightly hopped and very boozy. Drink this if you want to get buzzed but not so much for flavor.

Named after the elephants on the gate of tge brewery isnt it? Or is that b@@llocks?
And here they are in 1988:

1988 - Carlsberg brewery, denmark.jpg

Are my eyes deceiving me or is that a swastika on the side of the elephant on the left?
On all of them. The swastika is a hindu symbol, presumably why it's on the (Indian?) elephants.

I was there with my Mrs who was on a tour round Denmark to do with the Min. of Ag.

Latest posts

Back