ELVIS Juice botch. Left overs. First custom recipe.. help?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Usurper

Reaction score
All

This is my first attempt at a custom brew, largely to use the ingredients I have. I was banned for my last similar message, not sure why.. If there is a problem with this please tell me and I'll remove / edit.

Effectively I’m attempting to botch an Elvis juice, with a darker liquid malt extract, and not enough of it. And also some (hopefully minor) hop substitutions.

Evlis Juice Botch

Volume 20L
Boil Volume 25L

Magnum 2.5g Start (60min) Swap for Willamette

Simcoe 12.5g Middle (30min)
Amarillo 12.5g Middle

Mosaic 25.0g End (0 min) Swap for Willamette
Citra 25.0g End
Amarillo 12.5g End
Simcoe 12.5g End

Citra 50.0g Dry Hop (In FV)
Amarillo 50.0g Dry Hop
Simcoe 50.0g Dry Hop

DIY dog suggests 4.5kg Extra pale. x 83.33% attenuation = 3.75kg liquid extra equiv. I only have 2.7kg of Gold malt syrup

(And 0.88kg of Caramalt which I have and will steep)

I also plan to add zest of 6 grapefruit and 3 oranges in FV.

My questions:
- If I substitute the suggested base malt above for 2.7kg of Gold malt syrup; will I need to top up the sugars some how? By how much? Or should I reduce all the ingredients and volumes down proportionally?
- Will this Malt substitution Make an awful beer? I know it’s taste different / darker.. but still drinkable?
- Is steeping the Caramalt okay? Or should I do more of a brew in a bag?
- Is the hop substitution for Willamette okay?
- I have 2x 1 gallon Demijohns, any interesting suggestions for experimental secondary fermentations?
- I’ll be using Muntons Dry Ale Yeast. I assume this is okay?
- I also have 0.125 lbs Special B and 0.125 lbs Light Roasted Barley which I’m not planning to get involved at all.

Many thanks in advance for any and all advice!

If you dont have enough LME you'll need to make a shorter brew length. You could add some table sugar but it will be a thinner beer. If you have a holland&barrett or health food shop near by you can buy LME from their

You can swap williamette for mosaic but a) they taste completely different (more like fuggles) b) The AA% is a lot less on willamette than magnum so you'll need to account for this for your bittering charge

Thank you,
LME wise, I will reduce all ingredients proportionally? I.e. if I only have 2/3rds the LME, I'll use 2/3rds of the water hops etc.

Hop wise, I actually will have approx 25g of both simcoe and Amarillo left. Perhaps I should swap this in for the wilmette in the above as they seem to have a closer profile to mosaic?

Thanks again.

Oh also, on the wort calculation app, I can't find golden malt syrup. Which LME would you advise is so close enough for the calc to be as accurate as possible?

It's good you have some brewing software

Yes, just reduce everything proportionately. You brewing software should be able to adjust this for you as well

Yes Amarillo/simco would be a better fit.

Most LME is roughly the same when doing the caculations, it's just the colour that will be different. So it doesnt matter which one you imput (but off course the SRM/EBC wont be what you'll get)

Thanks. Just do double check my calc...
The original recipe asks for 4.5kg of extra pale grain, with a quoted attenuation of 83%.

4.5kg x 83% = 3.75kg LME equivalent?

When adding this to the 'wort' calc app. Do I put the efficiency of my brew at say 75% or 100%?

Cheers,
Tom

Also, the calculator is giving a very low IBU ~25. When I reduce the hops by the above %. And when using circa instead of mosaic and magmun.. any ideas?

Put your efficiancy at 72% most recipes I see are around this (my own efficiancy is 66%)

Keep the late additions the same (reduced proportionatly). Then just keep adding more bittering hops in the calc to you hit your target IBU.

In the original 23L recipe what is the IBU and what is the OG?

Ok, it you divide the IBU's by the OG it gives you a 'bitterness ratio' So in this case 60/60= 1. Then just keep (proportionally) the late hops the same (the AA% doesnt matter so wont matter youve changed some hops). Then for your bittering addition keep adding magnum until your bitterness ratio is 1 (hope that's all clear)

Thanks for your help! It's bubbling away nicely in the cupboard. Sanitation was okay... few whoopses, but hopefully okay.

Latest posts

Back