Emergency - Smack Pack aint got any yeast punch...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimosabby

Regular.
Reaction score
Gents,

a little emergency advice is required.

Started a Fullers ESB extract kit today and it came with a Wyeast yeast smack pack. I kept it in the fridge for months and I tried to activate it as per instructions today. Its meant to be ballon up after a couple of hours but nothing doing. It was manufactured in Dec 17 and instructions state use within 6 months so well over...

Is it still worth using as the ale is wating for a yeast pitch? If not as its Saturday I wont be able to get anything delivered until Tuesday which will mean the ale will have been waiting 72 hours in FV.

If not is there any other "emergency" yeast I can use.

as ever thanks in advance

I think wilko is open on sunday- you could pick up an emergency pack of dried yeast there.

nice one will give it a go tomorrow

is it worth trying the smack pack or would it do damage?

Brewers friend estimates the viability at 0% but I'd bet there's some live cells in there.
Without a starter though it would be a big under-pitch, so might stall or produce off flavours.
I'd chuck it in with a pack of dried yeast

on way out to Wilko. If I get dried yeast remind me at what temp I need to hydrate with water before pitching?

Your smack pack will need a starter and it's too late to do that now. It's good advice to grab a sachet of dry yeast and use that.

got Gervin English Ale yeast from Wilko $1.75 for 11g. Boosh cheers gents.

Waiting for yeast to hydrate where as i'm already on the IPA :)

with regards ot the smack pack "which is now in teh bin" I thought it had an in built starter hence the smack?

with regards ot the smack pack "which is now in teh bin" I thought it had an in built starter hence the smack?
I think its more of a 'nutrient' that's released when you smack it - although it must contain some fermentables to inflate the pack.
If there's no viable yeast left (or very little) it will take a lot longer than usual to inflate, if it will at all.

ive not messed around with yeasts yet or used liquid yeast before. Am about to embark on all grain. Is liquid a significant ster up?

Although the smak pack wont be any use for this brew you could build any remaining live yeast cells up and use them in a future brew. If I was in your situation Id cut the smak pak open and put the yeast in about 300ml of 1.040 wort starter. Then once it's fermented out put what you have in 1.5L - 2L of 1.040 wort. This should build it up enough to pitch in a future brew - you may as well make use of it. Those smak paks ar seven quid a pop

Liquid is only better if you are after a specific strain IMO. If you just need a simple US/UK ale yeast for example, you may as well use dry. You can very easily under pitch with liquid too even on the most modest of beers so a starter is normally needed.

Also I would hone the other important skills first such as temp control/water treatment

Latest posts

Back