Emperor's New Clothes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheshire Cat

Landlord.
Reaction score
Following on from my post on Beer Myths I drank a beer tonight that got me thinking that are we kidding ourselves. I bought two cans of NEIPA from Lidl brewed by Stewart Brewing, I drank one and it tasted alright. However it looked like orange dishwater and that can't be right can it. In my 50 years of drinking beer the first thing I do is visual to see if I have a clear beer then if it's clear I'll drink. However here that is not possible. So are NEIPA's Emperors new cloths or n't.

What else falls into the category of ENC's

Didn't beer only start becoming clearer with the advent of drinking from glass? - Agreed some NEIPA's arent and are just a jump on the bandwagon ripoff. I take the view the more a beer is filtered the less flavour it has so I dont view clarity with quality. I do understand we also drink with our 'eyes' for me though its flavour over clarity every time. Weissbiers have been around for ages and for me a crystalweizen is a turn off.

There will always a degree of jumping on a bandwagon. I have only tried a few NEIPA's and although quite pleasant, are not what I would like to drink all night every night, or even for a whole Saturday night session. I just object to anyone telling me what I should eat/drink this season, because it is on trend (a fad). There is nothing necessarily wrong with a beer being cloudy (or hazy as the faddies say), I'm just more interested in whether its good beer or not.

I think that making brewing decisions for the sole purpose of producing a 'haze' is jumping on the hype train sillyness, however if you are going for a particular flavour profile and mouthfeel and the result is a hazy beer then I don't have a problem with that
This. It’s a side effect not a target, and so many people (both home brewers and professional breweries) don’t seem to understand that.

This. It’s a side effect not a target, and so many people (both home brewers and professional breweries) don’t seem to understand that.

I also don't like how some brewers (pro and amateur) seek out low flocculating yeasts to try and obtain the haze. The last thing you want in a NEIPA is for it to taste yeasty. Utterly rank.

Didn't beer only start becoming clearer with the advent of drinking from glass?

It's actually around, first beer started to get clearer with the new brewing techniques from the continent (Vienna, Plzen), and then there was a usage for glass to drink from.

However, I think that most British beers were already clear before that, due to their yeasts and the practice of using isinglass. You see it also in historic texts and records (Ronald Pattinson, Martyn Cornell), that it was expected, when buying beer in a cask (home use and public-house) was expected to drop clear.

Back