Employment law

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's that got to do with employment law?

Sorry went off at a tangent slightly as many people do on threads and I was not told it was in the contract before accepting the job so really it was to do with employment law

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry went off at a tangent slightly as many people do on threads and I was not told it was in the contract before accepting the job so really it was to do with employment law
I'd say it was more part of the recruitment process that you weren't told about rather than the contract of employment.

No contract of employment not told the full conditions by the employer not by a recruitment agent

The Company I retired from had a claw back agreement for any training that cost £500 or more. You were asked to sign the claw back prior to any training course being arranged. The claw back was pro rata for 12 months and the total amount reclaimed diminished by 1/12 for each month you remained with the Company. After 1 year of service from the end of any training course you could leave free of charge. It was a pain, but everyone knew what to expect if they did leave.

It's standard practice in a lot of IT companies

I recently put one of our engineers through a security software course to support a product our customer wanted to use. It cost about £8000
A training contract was drawn up by hr that he had to stay in the company for 2 years or pay back a percentage based on the time elapsed to that 24 month point.
Seems entirely reasonable and sensible, as with this accreditation he will be in high demand going forwards and I want to keep him where he is to support my customer. And if he does leave I'll have to fork out another 8 grand to train up someone else.

It's standard practice in a lot of IT companies

I recently put one of our engineers through a security software course to support a product our customer wanted to use. It cost about £8000
A training contract was drawn up by hr that he had to stay in the company for 2 years or pay back a percentage based on the time elapsed to that 24 month point.
Seems entirely reasonable and sensible, as with this accreditation he will be in high demand going forwards and I want to keep him where he is to support my customer. And if he does leave I'll have to fork out another 8 grand to train up someone else.
Curious what would have happened if he had opted not to sign the training contact? Would you have found another candidate and let him go?

We wouldn't have let him go, it's a large shared service security team managing multiple customers. So he would have taken another customer and I would have asked another one from the team instead.

Back