England 0 - 4 Hungary

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Fans booing and people calling 5 Live saying he is too negative if he was to go who would you like to see do the job?
As usual fans only please.

England 0-4 Hungary: Nations League experiment fails as Three Lions falter

As Gareth Southgate digests England's worst home defeat in more than 90 years he will be forced to confront an unwanted rewriting of the history books, but also consider whether his Nations League experiment has sent the Three Lions backwards with a World Cup looming on the horizon.

Not since a 5-1 defeat by Scotland in 1928 have England been beaten so heavily on home soil, while this is only their second home loss to Hungary since the Magical Magyars' famous 6-3 victory at Wembley in 1953.

It brings to a close an international break that has seen Southgate's side score just once in four games, and that was a Harry Kane penalty in the 1-1 draw with Germany, while England have gone four matches without a victory for the first time since 2014.

BBC Sport.

Semi finals of the last world cup, finals of the Euros - why would you get rid of one of our most successful managers?

Sure we have had a bad nations league but this has been used to experiment with new players - sadly, that hasn't worked and the players brought in haven't been able to make the step up yet. I would rather experiment in this tournament than a euros/WC. I am sure Southgate will learn from it.

We have a world cup coming up in a few months and making a change now would be counter productive in my view.

I don't watch England often so I can only judge him on the games I have seen and I have always thought Southgate has done a decent job and that's why I was surprised when I heard England fans saying he isn't the right man for the job.

Lots of changes to the team and lots of tired players. Daft time to have these fixtures.

Looking more closely at the chances created on both sides the game could have as easily finished 1-0 to England as the actual result.

Not particularly worried by this.

No point in changing the manager now, and there are mitigating reasons for last nights embarrassment. i think we’ll be playing 3 centres backs again.

The safety first aproach has served Gareth well in tounemounts and the team will be fresh. I can seeing tournemount success once again be decided by a penalty shoot out in the quarters. (Reaching the semis would be a minimum level of success)

Post the world Cup I’d like to see a new manager, with recent champions league experience. Don’t care where he is from as long as he has good experience of english football and English players and has proven success. High energy, high pressing, quick breaking and fast passing.

I am sorry but I do not go with the tired players defence these players are paid in excess of £100,000 a WEEK yes a WEEK and we still make excuses for them.
They are in a privileged position of earning extreme amounts of money and playing a sport that most people would dream of and still get beaten by a second rate nation not ONCE but TWICE. there is no way they should not be able and want to play at the drop of a hat it would be alright if a true working man said to his boss sorry I can not come in today as I have already worked 2 days this week
Now re Southgate he has had every help with the FA and still does not give good enough performances with a choice of allegedly some of the finest players in Europe, it is too late to change but he needs to go and the players need to bow their heads in shame

I agree about the tired players Rich it's always the same excuse.
I think the biggest problem for an England manager is we don't have the amount of world class players it takes to win the world cup, back in the day when foreign players were a rarity in the first division (EPL for the young ones) we had many but the PL has so many foreign players few English players make it to the top flight limiting the England managers choice, I have a feeling I will never see England lift the Cup I was only 5 last time.

I am sorry but I do not go with the tired players defence these players are paid in excess of £100,000 a WEEK yes a WEEK and we still make excuses for them.
They are in a privileged position of earning extreme amounts of money and playing a sport that most people would dream of and still get beaten by a second rate nation not ONCE but TWICE. there is no way they should not be able and want to play at the drop of a hat it would be alright if a true working man said to his boss sorry I can not come in today as I have already worked 2 days this week
Now re Southgate he has had every help with the FA and still does not give good enough performances with a choice of allegedly some of the finest players in Europe, it is too late to change but he needs to go and the players need to bow their heads in shame
It's not really about desire, there's no doubt they love playing and love playing for their country. It's about their physical abilities as athletes to keep putting the highest level of performance.

I agree about the tired players Rich it's always the same excuse.
I think the biggest problem for an England manager is we don't have the amount of world class players it takes to win the world cup, back in the day when foreign players were a rarity in the first division (EPL for the young ones) we had many but the PL has so many foreign players few English players make it to the top flight limiting the England managers choice, I have a feeling I will never see England lift the Cup I was only 5 last time.
I would agree historically we didn't have the number of world class players, but that's become quite different in the past 5 years.

The problem historically was that not enough English players went to play abroad and there wasn't enough foreign. Football was played one way in the top league in England (fast attacking), and while it was exciting to watch it was strategically terrible against teams that were technically better.

In the last few years that's changed. Thanks partly to some player development changes architected by Gareth Southgate just over 10 years ago there is a truly world class set of players coming through. While there is a lot of foreign talent in the Premier League it's actually strengthening those English players as they're surrounded by the best in the world - the Premier League has vastly more of the best players in the world than any other league by a long distance.

We're no longer having to worry when our single talisman breaks a metatarsal (Beckham 2002, Rooney 2006) because we've usually got another great player to take their place.

England have gone close in their last two tournaments having previously only ever made three semi finals (1966, 1990, 1996), ultimately missing out a due to a lack of experience and guile (e.g. Euro final against Italy), plus the vagaries of knock out football. The team will only get better now, and I'd be disappointed if they binned Southgate at this point. Being an international Coach is quite different to a club Coach, and I think he's quite uniquely suited to it.

Sorry Jocky I do not see it like you do.
Southgate has had 6 years in the job and 74 matches to sort a team, I do agree it is the wrong time to change but he will be gone as soon as the world cup is over and yes he has good enough players available to beat second rate teams with even his second team if he wanted but to be bagged 4-0 is a disgrace from the players point and shows his strategy is wrong.
He had 74 minutes to change his strategy and team after they scored

Well I do not look at it like that he has at his disposal players that that have benefitted from playing at the highest level with the highest foreign players that have fetched the players on which was not available to previous managers to that level.
We have now some players of possible world class in higher amounts where previous managers had fewer.
I think the team is going backwards now and has already reached its peak under him, he plays across the park too much and does not use his attacking players to their full capabilities and is too loyal to some players even playing semi injured players at times when he has a squad he could rotate more and make them fight for their places.
Ps it does not help that I never thought he was right for the job and we will never get the best managers as the FA oldies have to be appeased with the choice of yes men

Southgate has done a great job. It's a Mickey Mouse end-of-the-season comp, and that is exactly what it looks like. As I said the other night, this is more like watching Wigan Athletic than a proper international. With much more important stuff coming up, the Nations League has only limited benefit, to put it kindly.

Well I do not look at it like that he has at his disposal players that that have benefitted from playing at the highest level with the highest foreign players that have fetched the players on which was not available to previous managers to that level.
We have now some players of possible world class in higher amounts where previous managers had fewer.
I think the team is going backwards now and has already reached its peak under him, he plays across the park too much and does not use his attacking players to their full capabilities and is too loyal to some players even playing semi injured players at times when he has a squad he could rotate more and make them fight for their places.
Ps it does not help that I never thought he was right for the job and we will never get the best managers as the FA oldies have to be appeased with the choice of yes men
I see your points, particularly about the FA, which really needs root and branch reform.

I actually think that his cautious style is warranted - knockout tournament football is cruel in that your entire tournament can be over because luck doesn't go your way in a single game. Southgate tries to minimise the opportunities for the opposition to have the luck go for them.

He's a smart guy and has really changed the way our international team functions, recognising that international football is nothing like club football from a management point of view.

My problem with Southgate is that he is too slow to react and make changes, both tactical and personnel. As an aside, I thought John Stones played poorly (amongst others) but was unlucky getting his first and second yellow cards. I thought the referee let too many niggly fouls go (on both sides).

Back