English Ale Enuii - more inspiration needed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BrewStew said:
i'm doing a rauchbier this weekend... have you ever done one?

:sick: It's filthy filthy stuff, it's like drinking a pint of kippers :sick:

Cheers for your input though, I may have to go and see my friendly neighbourhood beer seller and see if he can recommend something.

A rauchbier is also known as a smoke beer.
A good proportion of the grist is smoked malt and the recipes are meant to be true to style of old beers, as most malts were smoked pre coke/coal revolution.

Personally I don't like them...at all :sick:

Having said that I had a old time porter the other day and I'm sure there was Rauch malt in that, as there was a hint of smoke....and I really REALLY liked it :?....could be wrong though :hmm:

Mrs Wez enjoys the occasional Cherry Kreik Beer (sp) from what I understand although it's traditionally fermented by wild yeast you can buy the yeast for that soured flavour. It's bot 'my box of badgers' but I might look at making a couple of gallons up to bottle for her. Anyone ever had a go at this?

Cheers Vossy.

I may give it a bash one day. :pray:

I cant get over I've been brewing for bloody ages and there are still new brews to have a go at popping up left, right and centre. Bloody marvelous this brewing lark :)

It's not for me TBH but it's OK

ASDA do it I think for about £1.70 - try one :)

Wild yeast does normally suck!

J_P, get yourself a hefeweizen yeast and do a Dunkelweizen or a Roggenbier, then save some of the yeast and re-pitch into a Weizenbock (Aventinus clone)... Could be nice for Autumn when the nights draw in.

Wez... i'm brewing a Flemish sour ale at the moment. Brewing a Kriek is quite an in-depth beer, probably one of the most advanced styles you can brew and one you need the most patience for. You'll need to brew a Lambic first (1 year at least and you'll need a sour yeast blend), then you'll need to add about 3 kilos of sour cherries per 5 gallons and waiting another 6 months...

How about brewing a APA/IPA/Durden Park recipe to lay down for next spring?

Properly aged beers is one of the techniques we home brewers can deploy over the commercial brewers :cool:

Wez said:
Mrs Wez enjoys the occasional Cherry Kreik Beer (sp) from what I understand although it's traditionally fermented by wild yeast you can buy the yeast for that soured flavour. It's bot 'my box of badgers' but I might look at making a couple of gallons up to bottle for her. Anyone ever had a go at this?

Did you ever get round to this? I've started pooling ingredients for some kind of cherry beer, any tips would be good, it looks fairly straightforward though (not a proper lambic, just using lambic yeast).

Latest posts

Back