English Independence

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew_DD2

Mint Choc Chipster
Reaction score
As an offshoot from the other thread, I would be curious to hear people's thoughts on England seeking independence from The UK.

It's something that rarely gets spoken about, but given how unhappy and disenfranchised large swathes of society feel, I'm surprised an independent England with federal regions hasn't been put forward.

I suppose a case could be made that there would be little appetite from Westminster as it would mean that power was taken from them and decentralised. I would imagine people like Andy Burnham would be onboard though.

No need for any action. Just sit back and wait, England will be on its own!

I can’t see much of a benefit really. However, I do think the West Lothian issue needs addressing.

English Independence would resolve it. Benefit would be that English tax payers wouldn't be saddled with allegedly paying for Scotland. Would mean that NI is also no longer England's problem.

Would allow for England to have a parliament too. At the moment, England as a country is behind Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland in this regard.

At what cost though. Does the general population of England actually see Scotland as an expense? NI isn’t a complex issue, as people frequently go on about. Simply the people wanted to remain British.
I can see your point about the parliament. That could be resolved with out carving up the Union though.

Anyway, I go back to my suggestion that the only fair way to settle it all, if it needs to be settled is for everyone in the union to have one big vote to settle it.

At what cost though. Does the general population of England actually see Scotland as an expense? NI isn’t a complex issue, as people frequently go on about. Simply the people wanted to remain British.
I can see your point about the parliament. That could be resolved with out carving up the Union though.
What planet are you from 😂😂

NI isn’t a complex issue, as people frequently go on about. Simply the people wanted to remain British.
My father was Northern Irish.
One day I told him jokingly, that seeing Armagh is in the UK he is therefore British.
He told me to '**** off, I'm Irish!' :laugh8:

If the entire population of NI wanted to remain British there would be no problem. Or if the entire population wanted to be Irish, again no problem.
It's kind of what has caused the problems in NI for the past 100 years of it's history.

That’s the crunch. For some reason, people just don’t agree so the whole thing about independence is a moot point. Let’s see what happens on Thursday :hat:

The situation is not complex, the solution is.
I did three tours of NI, I can tell you, people in the same family disagree, to t he point of murder. It will never be solved to any great satisfaction.

I would not be in favour of a federal England.

I would be in favour of a federal UK with an English parliament, something that I think should have happened at same the time of Scottish/Welsh/NI devolution.

That said i'm Cornish so i'm voting for Cornish independence anyway. Kernow Bys Vyken! 😉

Not all the people either want to remain British nor see them selves as ever having been British in Northern Ireland though. And THAT is the problem

I would not be in favour of a federal England.

I would be in favour of a federal UK with an English parliament, something that I think should have happened at same the time of Scottish/Welsh/NI devolution.

That said i'm Cornish so i'm voting for Cornish independence anyway. Kernow Bys Vyken! 😉
I’ve done 49 years here and never heard such ********. People in the same family killing each other because one thinks they are British and the other Irish ?
the solution is as complex as the problem something the British government has never understood

Back