English Independence

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He means that he was in the army, so he understands better than people who have lived through all of the **** that's gone on there.
Just curious as to why he thinks the situation is not complex.
To be honest, anytime I try and explain Irish 19th & 20th century history to my wife (French) my head starts to hurt.

Just curious as to why he thinks the situation is not complex.
To be honest, anytime I try and explain Irish 19th & 20th century history to my wife (French) my head starts to hurt.
Lots of people believe the “ Northern Ireland “ situation only started in 1969 where it appears to be simple.

I think everyone needs to actually pick up a book and read the history of Great Britain. There is to much wrong history and actual lies being taught even in schools in the history of the UK.

Here is a fact for you, it wasn’t England’s idea and at first they didn’t even support a United Kingdom, it’s down to king James a way back in 1603 with the union of crowns. Basically a Scottish king inherited the kingdom of England. They tried loads of times since then to unite the kingdoms in a political union but the English weren’t up for it until 1707. But Charles degaulle with the EU membership lol.
Anyways what prevailed was the most successful union of its kind and we all built a empire together and became a very wealthy nation as one United Kingdom of Great Britain.

there is a funny story of the design of the Union Jack, not sure how true it is, but there was a competition to design the flag and all the designs coming back were pretty much the English flag with a tiny wee bit of bit of the st Andrew cross. But king james papped a big blob of blue across it making it dominated by Scotland’s colours. Anyway that’s been around since the union of crowns.

whatever happens the scots shall still keep the monarchy as it’s as much Scottish as it is English. It’s a sad state of affairs the way things have got now. The nationalists have as most nationalists around the world have done before, used it as the answer to all the problems of a country. Drug deaths, education, poverty can all be fixed if only we are independent. If you believe that then you need your head examined.
We live in a global world these days and insular politics and views are poison to take takeaway from the real issues that matter. That and Scots and English are so intertwined now that there is no difference. We have family and friends across the regions and Liverpool has more in common with Glasgow as Glasgow does with Edinburgh etc. I say rule Britannia and I don’t care who it offends or how our history offends some, it’s the greatest union in earth.

As an offshoot from the other thread, I would be curious to hear people's thoughts on England seeking independence from The UK.

It's something that rarely gets spoken about, but given how unhappy and disenfranchised large swathes of society feel, I'm surprised an independent England with federal regions hasn't been put forward.

I suppose a case could be made that there would be little appetite from Westminster as it would mean that power was taken from them and decentralised. I would imagine people like Andy Burnham would be onboard though.
Hey England.......

My father was Northern Irish.
One day I told him jokingly, that seeing Armagh is in the UK he is therefore British.
He told me to '**** off, I'm Irish!' :laugh8:

i have that Same conversation with my wife on a regular basis.😆
or did do, as now she has an Irish passport. It will cost me 1000 euros plus to naturalise to get one so she’s had the last laugh!

Last edited:
I think everyone needs to actually pick up a book and read the history of Great Britain. There is to much wrong history and actual lies being taught even in schools in the history of the UK.

Here is a fact for you, it wasn’t England’s idea and at first they didn’t even support a United Kingdom, it’s down to king James a way back in 1603 with the union of crowns. Basically a Scottish king inherited the kingdom of England.

we all built a empire together and became a very wealthy nation as one United Kingdom of Great Britain.
I would have to question you interpretation of history here.

i have that Same conversation with my wife on a regular basis.😆
or did do, as now she has an Irish passport. It will cost me 1000 euros plus to naturalise to get one so she’s had the last laugh!

My wife is from NI and has an Irish passport now. Wish I could get one 😞

I'm after a Welsh one as my mum was Welsh. My wife's mother was Scottish so by the "Jack Charlton " rules she can get a Scottish one as can my daughter who lives in Glasgow and has a Scottish husband and son.

I'm after a Welsh one as my mum was Welsh. My wife's mother was Scottish so by the "Jack Charlton " rules she can get a Scottish one as can my daughter who lives in Glasgow and has a Scottish husband and son.
True story: arriving in paris and asking for a glass of white wine or two wink... a bottle was taken from behind the bar. Upon learning that the customers were not english but welsh the bottle was replaced with a far better quality wine previously hidden out of sight. So clearly an advantage there. To be fair I experienced it on the top of a swiss mountain with mrs DOJ - (italian speaking area). Skiing and ski-lift was closed due to white out conditions and initially the cable car was shut. When I inadvertently explained if we miss the train we'll never get back to Swansea.....

Swansea? - Swansea City? - Michu!

wow - cable car suddenly available to take us down to the train ashock1

So maybe a welsh passport is not such a bad idea after all. wink...

The way I see it is like this.
Westminster is an ancient cesspit of greed and corruption,None of them really care about the common mans lot in life Working conditions today are ruthless and frankly dreadful compared to when I started work.

Then there is the absolutely brutal treatment of the disabled/unemployed,
Demonizing some to the point of suicide.!!

They have been happy to see the poor in our society suffer relentlessly whilst living like squander-bugs high on the hog themselves.
Nowadays they are all career politicians in it for their own gain.

Naturally a lot of the public are dissatisfied some turn to the extreme left/right to seek answers,
I am frankly alarmed by some of the extremist opinion expressed these days.
After all that's how Herr Hitler got started.

Others in the long neglected outer regions think independence will provide the solution.
As to whether this push for independence brings any improvement or not is a matter for the generations that come after me.

You'll have A Scottish one soon enough. 😂
[/QUOTE
The way I see it is like this.
Westminster is an ancient cesspit of greed and corruption,None of them really care about the common mans lot in life Working conditions today are ruthless and frankly dreadful compared to when I started work.

Then there is the absolutely brutal treatment of the disabled/unemployed,
Demonizing some to the point of suicide.!!

They have been happy to see the poor in our society suffer relentlessly whilst living like squander-bugs high on the hog themselves.
Nowadays they are all career politicians in it for their own gain.

Naturally a lot of the public are dissatisfied some turn to the extreme left/right to seek answers,
I am frankly alarmed by some of the extremist opinion expressed these days.
After all that's how Herr Hitler got started.

Others in the long neglected outer regions think independence will provide the solution.
As to whether this push for independence brings any improvement or not is a matter for the generations that come after me.
I agree, I’ve said before that I find it beyond frustrating that millions of people in this country find such self-serving deceit and dishonesty acceptable behaviour for those who place themselves as higher than us ordinary mortals. Welsh/Scottish independence may not solve all the social problems, but it would certainly provide the opportunity for a fresh start appropriate to the times unlike our current archaic system.

I could get an Irish passport via grandparents, but it would cost hundreds of euros. In any case my wife & kids wouldn't be eligible, so I can't see the point

Latest posts

Back