English IPA dry hop

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamow

Reaction score
Any advice for dry hopping an English style IPA, generously late hopped with Challenger?

OG - 1.058. Maris, Crystal and malted Wheat. Maybe a touch too much Crystal. Its a little sweet out the fermenter.
Fermented with Verdant IPA in half and London III in the other.

Pellet hops I have to hand which I think are options:

Northern Brewer
Bramling Cross
Cascade

Original recipe called for EKG.
Thanks for any opinions

Willamette for hop stand and dry hop. Use Challenger for bittering. You may want to throw in some EKG at 15 minutes.

I used a bram x hop tea in my english ipa. 4g per litre which hasn't given much of what i wanted.

I'd be tempted to use cascade

cascade would be good to lift the aroma, I haven’t used it yet in an English ale but am planning too.

cascade would be good to lift the aroma, I haven’t used it yet in an English ale but am planning too.

One of my local breweries produced a real nice English ale and when I asked the brewer "is there Cascade in this" he said yes, but a relatively small amount. I had a go at replicating it and a little Cascade as a late hop really does work, too much though and it ends up tasting like a US beer.

I'm also a big fan of Bramling X, is one of my most-used hops.

One of my local breweries produced a real nice English ale and when I asked the brewer "is there Cascade in this" he said yes, but a relatively small amount. I had a go at replicating it and a little Cascade as a late hop really does work, too much though and it ends up tasting like a US beer.

I'm also a big fan of Bramling X, is one of my most-used hops.

Yeah I read somewhere that a dash in the dry hop helps lift the English hops without clashing with them.

Maybe the OP should mix a bit of cascade with BX given his stock options.

I am a challenger fan. Being from the north and challenger having a real presence in record from northern breweries, I like it. But I wouldn't dry hop with it.

Cascade would be my choice, but Bramling Cross may work as a dry hop too. What about BX and cascade in a ratio of 3:1? That would ensure you had some of the BX character but with support from the cascade, as BX aroma does fade over time.

I went with cascade. Turned out quite well. Maybe the dry hop hides some of the kettle hop character though. It’s 6.8% so should condition well with time.

Attachments

• D9D6E6EB-B258-4E40-8FF6-13A6C43F4F74.jpeg
    D9D6E6EB-B258-4E40-8FF6-13A6C43F4F74.jpeg
    34.2 KB · Views: 45
Fermented with Verdant IPA in half and London III in the other.
Hey @jamow , how did your split batch turn out in the end?

I suspect a lot of people would be very interested to know how the two compare, and also how Verdant IPA performed in a English style.

I've done similar but only once - with Verdant IPA the krausen stuck around longer but otherwise they fermented pretty much the same. But taste-wise, I couldn't tell them apart.

What were your findings?

I’ve only started on one keg so no direct comparison at the moment. I’m on the Verdant IPA one first. It’s been in the keg a few weeks now and is still improving. I’m fermenting a bitter with the Verdant IPA yeast just now and ive just ordered more of it likely destined for a pale ale. Get a bit concerned ordering liquid yeasts in this hot weather.
In terms of the English IPA fermentation the krausen dropped out a bit quicker after I stirred the dry hop pellets at 14 degC than the LondonIII, if I remember correctly. Both fermentation were quite satisfactory, fast, and I kegged them both at about seven days. Actually they both came in at 6.3% abv not 6.8% as I wrote above.

I tried the Verdant yeast the other week for the first time, in a US-style IPA (first attempt at that, too), also dry-hopped, and was very pleased with the results.

Latest posts

Back