English Pale Ale recipe check

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blinky

Regular.
Reaction score
I won some UK/English hops so want to make an English Pale ale, how does this look? This is also the first time brewing with the fermentasaurus under pressure, any tips are VERY welcome!

Fermentables
Best Pale Malt Supplier: Simpsons 4.00 kg (83%)
Wheat Supplier: Generic 0.40 kg (8%)
Crystal - 55L Malt 0.25 kg (5%)
Acid Malt 0.10 kg (2%)
Crystal - 120L (2-Row)0.05 kg (1%)

Mash Steps Temp Time
Mash In 65 °C 60 min
Mash Out 75 °C 10 min

Hops Amount Type Usage Time AA
Challenger Boil 60 min 25g
Cascade 30 min 5g
First Gold 30 min 5g
Cascade 15 min 5g
First Gold 15 min 5g
Cascade Boil 5 min 10g
First Gold 10.00 g Boil 10g

First Gold Dry Hop 5 days
Cascade Dry Hop 5 days

Yeast Amount Attenuation
Crossmyloof Four 1 packets 73 %

I have no idea! I won them in a competition, Im guessing they may not be quite as pungent in a dry hop?

Have no idea either! Was planning leaving it at atmospheric for a couple of days till fermentation is underway then ferment at 15psi

SO4 would make sense, so how does that do under pressure? Never brewed at the weekend as I could not get the fermentor to form a pressure seal and I was using the small sparklet bulbs - managed to get through all 15 of them! Have ordered a proper regulator and will pick up a CO2 bottle and try again

SO4 would make sense, so how does that do under pressure? Never brewed at the weekend as I could not get the fermentor to form a pressure seal and I was using the small sparklet bulbs - managed to get through all 15 of them! Have ordered a proper regulator and will pick up a CO2 bottle and try again
Same as most yeasts as long as the pressure is 1atm. Let the yeast do its stuff for the first 3 days then ramp some pressure up.

Looks too complex to me, I normally go for a 60min addition, 10min addition and steep and/or dry hop. I'd drop the Cascade too, whilst the UK version is less fruity than the US version it's still pretty fruity (I grow it and use it regularly).

Personally, I'd bitter with Challenger then use the First Gold as late additions, and omit the Cascade: I've not heard of First Gold and Cascade being used together before. You could then use the Cascade in a single-hop brew later, either a pale or an American Brown.

But if you stick with your recipe you may create something wonderful.

Looks overly complex to me too.
EKG & Fuggles for traditional English ales. Branding Cross also acceptable.

Maybe I'm being too traditional.
Maybe you're not being traditional enough: some of the very old recipes call for continental hops or Saatzer. Tetley's used to brew entirely with Phoenix. I think Bullion was used to good effect in some of the darker beers before it grew out of favour. Bramling Cross is a bit more than acceptable, it's a great hop.
But what would a lager 'n lime swiller and scotch-egg and pork scratchings muncher like me know?
:beer1:

Latest posts

Back