English Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, a small handfull. GH's dry hop additions of "a few cones" do make a difference with some of his brews, adding a subtle twist to the brew. However, in this case I don't think they'll make much of a difference, Styrians are quite powerful so I wouldn't think you wouldn't notice any Goldings used in addition as a dry hop.

Looking at your recipe, it's pretty much Wye Valley HPA, except they use a very pale malt. Target is quite harsh as a bittering hop but balances nicely with the Styrians, I make this regularly.

Old thread here on trying to clone HPA Wye Valley Hereford Pale Ale (HPA) Clone Recipe

Thanks! That's very helpful!

Am going to bottle the one in the OP early next week

The next will be another English Pale, this time one from Graham Wheelers 'Brew your own British Real Ale' and it will be an Exe Valley Spring Beer Clone. I've not had this beer in real life so I wondered if anyone had...I realise this isn't a hoppy beer but the late additions seem like an afterthought.

The recipe is (19l). OG1042 IBU 38 (No yeast in the recipe but i'll use CML Midland)

3540g Pale Ale

Target 24g @60
Styrian 5g @ Flameout/Hopsteep
Dryhop (a few cones of golding?)

So a couple of questions, a 5g Hopsteep? Seems a little feeble, would that give any flavour at all? And ' a few cones of goldings'? Would you take that to be a couple of grams?

I think the 5g might be bang on. I’ve got an English pale the keg for 5 months now hardly touched. It just doesn’t taste quite right. Originally I thought it may be the yeast ( liberty bell) but I also chucked in 25g of Syrians at flameout instead of of 10g. thinking now that where a slight unwelcome flavour is coming from.

I think the 5g might be bang on. I’ve got an English pale the keg for 5 months now hardly touched. It just doesn’t taste quite right. Originally I thought it may be the yeast ( liberty bell) but I also chucked in 25g of Syrians at flameout instead of of 10g. thinking now that where a slight unwelcome flavour is coming from.

Interesting thank you!

Back