The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Specialbrew

Reaction score
Hi all !
Currently pondering how to go about my next kit . Ive got a JB Best bitter 1.8kg that needs using in my cupboard . Hoping to get a nice easy drinking session bitter such as the likes of bass or pedigree (in my dreams!). Got some bits n bobs in my cupboard i can use. So far thinking of using:

John bull best bitter 1.8kg
500g medium DME
454g golden syrup
And some East kent goldings hop pellets 50g
Wilko ale yeast
Brewing short to 20 liters

Thinking of doing a hop tea but not 100 percent on how as there are many different opinions on how long to steep them for and whether to add them before or after fermenting?

Im not after a particularly hoppy beer just a good english style easy drinking session brew.

Any advice on ingredients / methods would be great.

P.s I am not expecting pedi/bass just a nice beer !

Last edited:
Make the kit with your fermentables,leave for at least 2 weeks then dry hop for 4 days or so with the pellets. The only thing I would wonder about is the hops that were used in the kit....but it's no good asking coz they won't tell you!!

Cheers clint

Would you still leave it 2 weeks even if you get 3 consecutive grav readings after lets say a week ? This always confuses me as my brews seem to have fermented out within a week?

By dry hop do you mean just drop the pellet teabag in the fermenter as it is ?

Yeah leave it. If you have a pre made hop tea bag I would make a hop tea when bottling as although the hops are usually fine to put into the fv I prefer to bag them but sterilise the bag beforehand by boiling. I've not done hop teas myself so not 100% on the procedure but there is info on the forum...

Cheers clint

Would you still leave it 2 weeks even if you get 3 consecutive grav readings after lets say a week ? This always confuses me as my brews seem to have fermented out within a week

Yes, because even if the fermentation is done the yeast is still working to clean up after itself reabsorbing by-products that were created during fermentation.

Thanks for clearing that up folks . Could never understand why people left it in primary so long when most kits say 4-6 days ! All confusing stuff for an amateur !

The hop pellets that i have come sealed in a foil bag so im thinking the (teabag) they are in will be ready to just drop in . So think im going to go with the (drop them.in 4 days prior to bottling ) method.
Random question
Should i suspend them in my wort or just let the bag sink to the bottom ??? Would this increase/decrease the hop effects ?

Thanks for clearing that up folks . Could never understand why people left it in primary so long when most kits say 4-6 days ! All confusing stuff for an amateur !

The hop pellets that i have come sealed in a foil bag so im thinking the (teabag) they are in will be ready to just drop in . So think im going to go with the (drop them.in 4 days prior to bottling ) method.
Random question
Should i suspend them in my wort or just let the bag sink to the bottom ??? Would this increase/decrease the hop effects ?
A bit late replying to a post from Thursday but......
I try to bottle mine after it's been in the FV 14 days. Rarely happens though. I've got one in the garage that's been in there 21 days.

If you've got a 50 g sealed bag of hops I doubt they're in a "teabag". The only hops in bags I've seen are 12g. I could be wrong of course.
Are there instructions on the packet? The teabag ones I bought said to steep in water from what I remember.
I don't have any set rule about dry hopping. I tend to make my mind up at the time.
If, I am going to bottle after two weeks I tend to dry hop 3 or 4 before bottling.
The last pale ale I made was supposed to be dry hopped but for one reason or another I missed the timing.
So for that one I made a hop tea at bottling time.
Just bear in mind if you dry hop 3 or 4 days before bottling and you just chuck them in that means there'll be a few bit hanging around when you bottle.
Some people wrap them in muslin or a chux. I've used muslin but not chux.
I use one of these.https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Stainle...ser-BD-/182203099836?var=&hash=item2a6c26aabc
Another reason I put my hops in a container is because I try and save the yeast for another brew.

Cheers pete. Better late than never . Not opened the pack yet but the last lot i had was in a teabag of sorts. Those little strainer things look good!
Think gonna do the dry hop with some muslin or maybe get one of those fancy little strainers ! But if all else fails ill do the hop tea haha . How did your pale come out what you hop tea'd on bottling out of interest??

For future reference if you want to brew pedigree pale ale i do have a extract recipe and extract brewing is not hard if you have a big pan i uster use a 6l stock pot for mine

For future reference if you want to brew pedigree pale ale i do have a extract recipe and extract brewing is not hard if you have a big pan i uster use a 6l stock pot for mine
Sounds good to me alside! Fire away! Actually been intending on having a dabble in extract/a.g for my next brew to be fair and where better to start than a pedi clone!

Cheers pete. Better late than never . Not opened the pack yet but the last lot i had was in a teabag of sorts. Those little strainer things look good!
Think gonna do the dry hop with some muslin or maybe get one of those fancy little strainers ! But if all else fails ill do the hop tea haha . How did your pale come out what you hop tea'd on bottling out of interest??
If you buy one of the strainers I linked get the biggest one. Actually order at least two.
Probably be better off using muslin this time. The strainers would take a couple of weeks
to arrive from China.
If I were to dry hop with 50 grams I'd put 25 grams in each.

20180417_170609.jpg

If you buy one of the strainers I linked get the biggest one. Actually order at least two.
Probably be better off using muslin this time. The strainers would take a couple of weeks
to arrive from China.
If I were to dry hop with 50 grams I'd put 25 grams in each.
Cheers pete. Ordered mi sen a strainer !! Just need to finish whats in my barrel now and then its brew o clock!

Session best bitter begins ! Well started it saturday actually so it began then ! Will see how it comes out !keep ya posted !

Attachments

• IMG-20180428-WA0009.jpeg
    IMG-20180428-WA0009.jpeg
    38.1 KB · Views: 157
Back