Epine Recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruby_brewer

Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently come across a French aperitif called Epine. I am told it is made from wine, brandy and the young leaves of the blackthorn.

Was wondering if anyone has had it, made it, and got any recipes to share?

Thanks!

There is nothing on the forum but i found this -

Épine apéritif
2½ litres of red wine or homemade red fruit wine such as blackberry or elderberry
Half a bottle of brandy or eau-de-vie
500g sugar
About half a litre of blackthorn leaves (don't use more leaves than I recommend because blackthorn, like all the plum species, produce traces of cyanide as a byproduct of the almond flavour it imparts)

Put all the ingredients into a food quality plastic container, stir and fit the lid tightly.
Leave for two weeks, stirring occasionally.
Transfer to clean bottles using a funnel and some doubled-up muslin cloth to filter out the bits.
As with nearly all drinks it improves with age.
Santé!

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2012/apr/18/how-to-make-epine

I made something similar with beech leaves (noyau rather than epine) a few years back. It is, er, still maturing...

...another option that we make every year around this time and is excellent is Vin d'Orange. It mixes wine (white or rose) with Seville Oranges, vodka, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon. Leave for 7-8 weeks or so and you have a brilliant marmalade-y bittersweet aperitif. Happy to post a recipe if any interest.

I'd rather forgotten about this.

Recipe from Sally Clarke of the excellent Clarke's Restaurant in Kensington.

2 Seville Oranges
1/2 Lemon
200g Sugar
1/2 Vanilla Pod, split lengthwise
1/4 Cinnamon Stick
1 Litre Rose Wine
200ml Vodka or neutral high abv spirit
50ml Rum

Scrub and slice oranges. Add to a sanitised jar with all other ingredients except the rum. Leave somewhere cool and dark for 6 weeks. Shake occasionally to dissolve the sugar.

After 6 weeks, add the rum and strain into clean bottled through coffee paper.

Excellent neat over ice, topped with sparking wine or used instead of vermouth in a cocktail. We usually make a double batch.

Back