Erdinger yeast reclaim??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guyb

Regular.
Reaction score
Just wondering whether or not I could reclaim any yeast from this bottle, it says "bottle fermentation" on the back, but not sure if the brew is pasteurised or not?

I've not had this beer before, and bought it at ASDA as it was 2 for £3 (purely as I thought I will try it having seen the thread about the clone on here and see if I like it) :eek: loved it, so I have to give it a go Aleman Effin' Erdinger clone thread.

I let the wife try it, and she likes it - she only drinks wine, so this is quite remarkable.

I have to say, I am hooked.

Otherwise, I think the yeast would be Safbrew WB-06?

Am going to do the Erdinger clone :thumb:

nice to hear , i like erdinger myself . I don't think it's bottled with the same yeast as it's fermented . Good question on what yeast as it's a bit bland really compared to other examples , I use whitelabs and all 3 german strains have a fuller taste than erdinger , :hmm:

cheers for this, and erm well, I think me and calumscott have been waiting for you to come along :grin: any chance you can have a looky at these two threads.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=34515

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=34522

Had a bottle of Hoegaarden after the Erdinger - enjoyed both immensely (TTL aging in the Corny).

Bass Mild Bass going to secondary so bought a couple of beers for the hell of it - I do like a bit of Hoegaarden :rofl:

I did Gales Festival Mild AG, and it's cracking, but just couldn't help myself with the wheatbeers - I think I've developed a wheat obsession!

:grin:

I used WLP 300 when I did Aleman's Erdinger, came out great. I'd say it's not worth the risk with a weissbeer of using the yeast from a bottle and it turning out to be a bottling strain. The yeast is so critical in developing the banana/clove character of the beer that the wrong strain is likely to result in a totally different beer than you intended.

Dave1970 said:
I used WLP 300 when I did Aleman's Erdinger, came out great. I'd say it's not worth the risk with a weissbeer of using the yeast from a bottle and it turning out to be a bottling strain. The yeast is so critical in developing the banana/clove character of the beer that the wrong strain is likely to result in a totally different beer than you intended.

cheers for this Dave, that's what I love about this place, you learn something every time you visit :thumb:

Never even occurred to me that you might bottle with a different yeast to that which you ferment with :wha: :grin:

A new brewing chapter has opened...adventures in wheat!

Cheers for the advice :hat:

AFAIK the only wheat beer that is bottled with the primary strain is Schnieder weisse, all the others are filtered and then bottled with a lager strain

None of my friends who tried to reculture yeast from Schneider reported any success.

Bump of the year award. had a bottle of erdinger Schnieder weisse- snow beer last night and id forgotten how great it is. i dont like most wheat beers but love this one. Does anyone have any tips on making it. i am hoping someone may have cracked it over the last 7 years!

Back