Erlenmeyer flasks

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well that went really well.

I boiled 1.3ltrs of wort in the Erlenmeyer flask directly on a ceramic hob. Was a bit nervous and cranked the temperature up slowly so as to not shock it. But it went without a hitch. I cooled it in the sink over an hour and then added the yeast.

It was so much easier than having a separate pot, quicker too I think, and less to clean and sanitise. I'm converted.

I hope it's ok to resurrect this old thread, but I've just had a thought and wondered if anyone has the answer..
I just used my 2 Litre erlenmeyer flask for the first time. I brew at work, so it is down there and I'll have to make an extra (unnecessary?) trip to check this, so..
I've got 1.25L of starter in it on my stir plate down there, and I put foil over the top to stop any nasties getting in. I put an elastic band round the top and now I'm thinking that might have been a bad idea, should the foil just be loose on top?
I won't be going back til approx 24 hours after pitching the yeast in unless I have to....

I hope it's ok to resurrect this old thread, but I've just had a thought and wondered if anyone has the answer..
I just used my 2 Litre erlenmeyer flask for the first time. I brew at work, so it is down there and I'll have to make an extra (unnecessary?) trip to check this, so..
I've got 1.25L of starter in it on my stir plate down there, and I put foil over the top to stop any nasties getting in. I put an elastic band round the top and now I'm thinking that might have been a bad idea, should the foil just be loose on top?
I won't be going back til approx 24 hours after pitching the yeast in unless I have to....

If you use the forum for any length of time you'll notice all the newbie threads entitled, 'my airlock isnt bubbling' or some variation of this. The answer to those threads is exactly the same as for you query, unless it's airtight C02 alway's finds a way to escape. It'll be fine

Brilliant, thanks @MyQul . I had visions of it exploding and finding my work kitchen splattered in yeasty wort!
Sorry for the newbie questions!

Brilliant, thanks @MyQul . I had visions of it exploding and finding my work kitchen splattered in yeasty wort!
Sorry for the newbie questions!

You mean like this? :laugh8:

download.jpg

That's nasty!
Reminds me of once when I had the party tap on a cornie get somehow turned on inside my fridge. Guess it got stuck between the door and something. Opened the door and an actual tidal wave of beer hit me and flooded across the kitchen. aheadbutt

Latest posts

Back