Errata: Greg Hughes, Home Brew Beer (2019 edition)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jMac

Regular.
Reaction score
Following on from discussion in this thread (Greg Hughes recipes), I have created this new thread to collate errors in the recipes in the new 2019 edition of Greg Hughes’ Home Brew Beer.

Feel free post to any errors you find that might lead to a recipe being brewed incorrectly and I will collate them into a Google doc (or similar) readable by all (which I’ll post here at a later date). Please only post what seem to be genuine errors, not amendments to or opinions on the recipes, unless pertinent to a specific error. Feel free to discuss/challenge any corrections given, however, and hopefully we can reach a consensus on how best to amend.

I would suggest errors be posted in the following format:

page number, recipe name, section, error/correction

eg.
p132, Rosemary and Vanilla IPA, Grain Bill, Pilsner Malt 8.1kg (17lb 14oz) should read Pilsner Malt 4.1kg (9lb)

From previous discussion it seems later print runs may already have some errors corrected, so feel free to shout if your edition does not display the original error and the correction provided is still not the same as in your edition.

p120, Double Dry Hopped Pale Ale, For the boil, Liquor 13 litres (23 pints), should read 27 litres (47 1/2 pints).
Looks like the printed the mash liquor volumes twice.

From previous discussion it seems later print runs may already have some errors corrected, so feel free to shout if your edition does not display the original error and the correction provided is still not the same as in your edition.
Would help to quote which edition the error was found in and if some one has an edition with the error corrected for them to quote which edition it is fixed in?

2019 edition page 109 Single Hop Ales
Malt extract version stated 3.3 Kg Dried Wheat Malt Extract while the A.G. recipe calls for Pale Ale Malt. I think it should read something like Light Malt Extract- certainly not wheat.

More a question, than an errata:

p151, Christmas ale, Mash Temperature, Reads as "67C (149F)" but 67C is 153F, 149F is 65C

Which one should it be?

My guess is that it should be 65C as that seems to be the normal ale mash temp, 67C only really appearing for some porter/stout?

The same error appears in the previous edition as well.

Should the coffee stout on page 176 have any coffee in it?
No it will come from the chocolate malt and roasted grains.
Screenshot_20200910_212842_com.google.android.apps.books.jpg

More a question, than an errata:

p151, Christmas ale, Mash Temperature, Reads as "67C (149F)" but 67C is 153F, 149F is 65C

Which one should it be?

My guess is that it should be 65C as that seems to be the normal ale mash temp, 67C only really appearing for some porter/stout?

The same error appears in the previous edition as well.
I'd suggest mashing at 67°C for a stronger beer to leave a little more residual sweetness.

Just got this book and not tried any of his recipes yet as I’m still brewing all extract beers using John Palmers 2017 How to Brew while awaiting delivery of my new 35 litre Robobrew/Brewzilla.

Anyway, page191 Hughes recipe for a Raspberry Mosaic Berliner Weisse lists no hop addition? I’d expect it to have Mosaic hops as per the description. Is this correct or will the finished beer get some bitterness from the 1kg of raspberries and the Lactobacillus addition? Recipe does state an IBU of zero.

Anyone made this one?

Just got this book and not tried any of his recipes yet as I’m still brewing all extract beers using John Palmers 2017 How to Brew while awaiting delivery of my new 35 litre Robobrew/Brewzilla.

Anyway, page191 Hughes recipe for a Raspberry Mosaic Berliner Weisse lists no hop addition? I’d expect it to have Mosaic hops as per the description. Is this correct or will the finished beer get some bitterness from the 1kg of raspberries and the Lactobacillus addition? Recipe does state an IBU of zero.

Anyone made this one?
I haven't brewed that particular recipe but it's not uncommon for a sour beer to have no/very little hops because lactobacillus is inhibited by hop acids (and also sour and bitter can be an unpleasant combo). I wonder why it has Mosaic in the name though?

A finicky point, but since we're doing all the corrections: p. 164 Mild. Bitterness rating 21.2 IBUs.
20g Northdown hops at 8% alpha at start of boil contributing 19.7 IBUs
10 Bramling Cross at 6% alpha for 5 minutes contributing 0 IBUs
The arithmetic doesn't work. I suppose the other 1.5 IBUs come from the Bramling X.

Pages 24-25 are a table listing many malts. I'm a bit puzzled by how the column "Mash?" has crosses against a number of malts such as Chocolate Malt or Carapils. They're the ones after Candi Sugar, which I understand would not be mashed, so is this a copy and paste error?

This is an error from the previous (2013) edition so I don't know if it was repeated, if not then let me know and I will delete.

The Kolsch recipe (pg 197) states it is "top-fermented like an ale but conditioned at low temperatures like a lager". However the temperatures listed are 18 degrees for fermentation and 12 degrees for conditioning (as opposed to the expected 3 degrees for lager conditioning.

This is an error from the previous (2013) edition so I don't know if it was repeated, if not then let me know and I will delete.

The Kolsch recipe (pg 197) states it is "top-fermented like an ale but conditioned at low temperatures like a lager". However the temperatures listed are 18 degrees for fermentation and 12 degrees for conditioning (as opposed to the expected 3 degrees for lager conditioning.
You beat me to it. I've been meaning to post this one for a couple of weeks but never got round to it. As you have said, I expected a lower conditioning temperature.

Latest posts

Back