Essex Fittings Advice for a Kegle

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petrolhead

Regular.
Reaction score
I am just putting together all the parts I need to start AGB including building a kegle.

I have bought an immersion heater and intend fitting it to my (legal) keg with what I have discovered is a 2 1/4” Essex fitting.

They seem bloody expensive so does anyone know a cheap supplier or know a better way of fitting the heater.

Many thanks.

Essex flanges where always expensive, you can get basic solder in brass type which are fine if it's copper that you want to use it on, with a steel or aluminium keg you would need to use some other means to attach other than solder and would need someone with welding gear and the know-how to do it.

Is a gas burner not an option IRC the most I've seen have been gas rather than electric, it's just the radius on a keg would be smaller than it would on a domestic hot water tank which is what those flange type fittings are designed for, this would make for a harder to seal joint.

Are you trying are you trying to fit an immersion heater that would normally go in a copper cylinder? I thought most people fit kettle elements as I think you only need a 40mm hole. I would seriously reconsider cutting a 2 1/4" hole in any equipment. I'm super interested in see how this turns out as I've been thinking about buying a couple of keggles from MAlt miller and building a custom recirculating system. What puts me off is drilling SS as I know how tough it is. Where did u buy your keggle from and how much? Post some pics if u can

I’ll try to work out how to post pickies.

I have been doing a bit of reading and YouTubing and there are several examples of people doing similar. I wanted an electric boiler as I am going to be brewing in a timber shed and don’t like the idea of a gas burner.

I bought the 4500W element on eBay for £15, nearly as cheap as a kettle, and have now discovered the flange at Toolstation for £10. The similar flange for the outlet is £3. Off tomorrow in my lunch hour to collect.

Barrel was easy, I had called in a few times on a local microbrewery and he let me have a very battered example for a contribution to charity. Don’t like to ask again so would love to find an online seller. I bought a stepper drill which should do the hole fairly easily. It’s an Amazon cheapo but I only need to use it once.

Haven’t found a reasonably priced icebox to make a lautner from but still searching.

You will need to make sure your connections and wiring is suitable for a 4.5kw heater, an element of that rating will draw upwards of 20amps, a 13 amp plug and socket will not cut it.

Thanks Chewy. I have a separate consumer unit in my shed fed by a decent sized armoured cable so I intend putting it on a separate suitable fused spur.

Latest posts

Back