Euro 2020, who's watching?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still watching Ukraine and Sweden, and I think it's fair to say that Germany are the worst of the four sides playing tonight. they really didn't throw that much at us, (and of course, fortunately for us, Muller missed that golden chance), although of course we defended well and Pickford was good. Tougher challenges await, but we've done all we can so far. athumb..
I'm not thinking much of either Sweden or Ukraine. Neither has that incisive touch. Bit of a tough match to get interested in.

Ukraine deserved that win in the end. They didn't give up. Scrappy performance, but kept trying.

I'm just in from the pub and one of the chaps on the next table described that game as like world war 3, ended up with half of each team taking a hit of some sort. Both sides fought for it, and I'm amazed they squeaked that last goal in the added-extra-time. Kudos.

But you have to be honest about Germany's performance - it was poor.

Clearly this is far from the best Germany team ever. On the other hand, you could say that they only played as well as they were allowed to play - the same could be said of the job Scotland did on England, not allowing them to look good. Certainly I get a bit fed up when people ooh and aah over the likes of Grealish and Sterling - the real stars of this England team are the defensive unit. It's not glamorous work but without them England would be going home. Funny watching people struggle with Southgate's approach to team selection - absorb the pressure, tire out the opposition, then introduce "impact players" who can take advantage of the tiredness, rather than "substitutes" who are not as good as the ones they replace.

That Ukraine/Sweden match was brutal in extra time, there needs to be big questions asked about the two Swedes that immediately returned to action with possible concussion. And the Artem Besedin knee injury looked nasty, looked like he pinged a couple of ligaments? The photos don't look great, knees aren't meant to do that :
1625014740435.png

have I got that right, will the next world cup be in 22?!?

21 November to 18 December 2022 to cope with Qatari heat, but I guess as it turns out it's no bad thing that it's not in June/July, gives the timetable a bit more flexibility to fit in 2 years-worth of qualifiers etc after Covid.

A great start, they were parking the bus they will now have to shift it to try to get an equaliser.

Happy with that so far. Ukraine struggling to dent the defence, just need to hold them out eh!

Remember watching England v West Germany on TV in the semi-final of the Mexico World Cup in 1970. 2-0 up and then saw the horror unfold. It's been pretty much the same ever since. Now they're looking like a sound team with strength in depth and a decent manager and I'm in unfamiliar territory. Still a sense of impending doom...

Last edited:
Back