European Super League

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheshire Cat

Landlord.
Reaction score
20 European clubs have "signed up" to join the European super league including 6 English teams. For me this is a terrible idea driven purely by greed. It could be a negotiating ploy of course but I'm not so sure. The European Cup was devalued when the 4th played team could enter the Champions League so you had Lverpool vs Spurs in a final where neither had a league title in almost 80 years combined.
I hope the whole concept is scrapped ASAP what's other people's views?

Threads merged.

The European super League.

Fans are phoning 5 live going mad about the fans being ignored by these clubs and it not being a working man's game anymore, I haven't decided if it's a good idea or not but what I do know is football became a business not a working man's Saturday afternoon game years ago when it moved to Sky why didn't the same people kick up a hugev stink back then?

This thread is for football fans to post their views if you are not a fan please don't post we have heard all the overpaid players kicking a ball about for millions of pounds a week stuff before, thanks.

Last edited:
This is about super rich owners wanting to be even more rich. How Arsenal and Spurs automatically participate when they have never won the champions league or European cup once between them sums it up.

It’s all about money.

It’s meant to be “elite” teams, but about half of these teams have won nothing for years, have never won the Champions League etc (Milan haven’t won a league title for 10 years, haven’t been in a CL Final for 14, and were knocked out of this year’s Europa League in the last 16 stage). The reigning European Champions have declined to be in it, and the favourites for this year’s trophy aren’t in it either.

The reduced numbers and 2 leagues of 10 format means we are unlikely to see someone like Porto ever win the tournament again, we’ll never see the likes of Basel in the quarter finals again. Clubs in so-called smaller countries (even former footballing giants like Ajax), and smaller clubs from the founders’ countries (even not so small clubs like Roma or Sevilla) are unlikely to even be invited to play.

It’s about keeping the “big” teams “big” and does absolutely nothing for the good of football.

Last edited:
"Manchester United, Spurs and Arsenal are not even in the Champions League. Arsenal are a shambles of a club and they expect a gods given right to go into the European Super league? It's disgusting. Deduct points. Deduct money. Punish them."

"The owners of all of these clubs are imposters. They have nothing to do with football in this country. They're bottle merchants. You never hear from the owner of these clubs. They have no voice."

Nothing but facts from Gary Neville 👏

I wonder what odds I can get on Leicester to win the league in the hopes the PL hand both Manchester clubs a hefty points deduction.
As a United fan I am discussed by their actions and would welcome that happening but WHU might pip Leicester to the title.

As a United fan I am discussed by their actions and would welcome that happening but WHU might pip Leicester to the title.
As a Sunderland fan, I’d feel sick if Moyes won a league title! You probably would too.

City fan but 100% agree. The idea is complete nonsense (as is evidenced by Spurs and Arsenal's involvement, before you even consider the dubious merits of the proposal)

I can see why the owners would want to do it, last year the big six received on average 28% more in prize money than the remaining 14 clubs. If they were to leave how much would the premier league's revenue drop by?

If it's a ploy to make the premier league more merititious and less egalitarian, then why are the three Spanish teams signed up, as they already control their own tv deals?

But I can't see how it could work on a day to day basis, how many fans would regularly travel nearly a thousand miles to away games. and ten of teh signed up clubs are unable to play at home on the same day as their local rivals.

How did Spurs get involved, no leage title in over 60 years and now no manager.

As a Liverpool supporter, I like the champions league, not convinced about the top 4 clubs being entered, but I like the idea of a european cup competition.

But defo not a breakaway league!! nothing wrong with the current style.

I don't think it will happened and just a ploy to get more money from the new champions league.

This isn't replacing the epl or cl and clubs say they will still enter those comps. Not sure how they will play do many.

I think most fans will still watch their team play. I would watch it on tv so can't complain.

The new champions league format is horrible.

As a Gills fan this is will impose another barrier on our journey for European domination.

This isn't replacing the epl or cl and clubs say they will still enter those comps. Not sure how they will play do many.
They moan about the number of fixtures as it is, without adding potentially another 30 games into the mix.

"Manchester United, Spurs and Arsenal are not even in the Champions League. Arsenal are a shambles of a club and they expect a gods given right to go into the European Super league? It's disgusting. Deduct points. Deduct money. Punish them."

"The owners of all of these clubs are imposters. They have nothing to do with football in this country. They're bottle merchants. You never hear from the owner of these clubs. They have no voice."

Nothing but facts from Gary Neville 👏

100 per cent agree with him. Howeveri if he and his mates he were not trying to bankroll Salford through the leagues it would carry more weight.

I think its all sadly inevitable. Any notion that football is anything other than a business went out the window a long time ago and I say that as a lifelong Liverpool fan. What makes football great with all the drama of promotion, relegation, qualifying etc. also makes for a terrible business model. The owners funding these teams (or arranging for their clubs to be saddled with debt) want more stability, I understand why but I don't like it. They are probably doing this as a negotiating tactic again but they know even if the premier league, FA, UEFA and FIFA call their bluff, they are in a strong position. None of the organisations have favoured taking a principled stand over commercial interests before so why would they now? The premier league aren't likely to kick out these 6 clubs. They represent under a third of the league but they feature in over half of all the televised fixtures in the UK, and a massive chunk of the £5billion the league gets from oversees revenues is predicated on these 6 teams. If they did kick them out, there would be a collapse in funding, especially from overseas markets. It would leave the rest of the premier league on more of a level pegging with the EPL, but probably not in a good way. Even if there was a surprising outbreak of scruples in the Premier League, La Liga and Serie A, the appetite for these teams in Asia, America and Africa is vast, regardless of what competition they play in.
The FA are already worried about the FA Cup being devalued by the bigger teams and its problematic for them to sell the tournament without these teams and the teams themselves are increasingly playing lip service to it, so it won't be a drag for them to be kicked out. They would love an excuse to get out of the League Cup too I think. I also doubt FIFA will follow through on banning players from these teams in international tournaments. They have ridiculous amounts of cash in sponsorship from the likes of Adidas, Pepsi etc. And look at the players who feature in adverts as part of these deals, over the past 20 odd years, they have predominantly featured players from the 12 teams who have signed up the ESL. FIFA aren't going to jeopardise those sort of deals by taking these players and teams out of play.
The TLDR version of this is that the domestic, continental and international bodies have created this monster and now it has them by the short and curlies. Very depressing.

Back