European Super League

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heads will roll over this hopefully the Glacers and Ed Woodhead (sic). The whole thing will collapse hopefully never to return.

European Super League: Manchester City withdraw and Chelsea set to do so -

_90984110_roan200.jpg

By Dan RoanExclusive by BBC sports editor

European Super League: Manchester City withdraw and Chelsea set to do so - BBC Sport

Manchester City have withdrawn from the European Super League (ESL) and Chelsea are also preparing to do so.

Efforts to leave come just two days after both were announced as two of six English clubs to sign up to the controversial new competition.
The ESL has been widely criticised since being announced on Sunday.

Around 1,000 fans gathered outside Chelsea's Stamford Bridge home ground before their game against Brighton on Tuesday to protest their involvement.

Chelsea and City were part of English football's 'big six' clubs - alongside Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester United and Tottenham - to have agreed to join the new league.

In total, 12 European clubs announced their intentions to form the breakaway league, which they hoped to establish as a new midweek competition.

It was condemned by football authorities and government ministers in the UK and across Europe by Uefa and leagues associations.

Chelsea were the first club to indicate they will not press ahead by preparing documentation to withdrawn. City withdrew soon after.

Chelsea and City were not drivers of this plan, they were the last to sign and feared being left behind.

It is not clear how easy it is or how binding the contracts are.

Clearly something changed on Tuesday, whether it was the backlash, the worldwide condemnation, the political pressure or whether the players have have had their say.

Analysis
Former Chelsea winger Pat Nevin on BBC Radio 5 Live

I'm not even mildly surprised - it didn't look like Chelsea wanted to get on that train but they didn't want to be left at the station.

I don't think these clubs were prepared for anything. This seems like utter panic from a set of clubs. I think this is the first break that falls and then we are back into something like normality.

Chelsea wanted to move stadium a few years ago, fans weren't having it. The club, instead of pushing it through, said "we were wrong". They can change, they can adapt.

It's gone now, dead in the water. It is that big because the other clubs would look a bit silly without them now.

If I was a supporter of one of these clubs I would be so embarrassed

If I was a supporter of one of these clubs I would be so embarrassed

As a City fan i can honestly say I am not in the slightest bit embarrassed as it says in the article Chelsea indicated they were thinking of pulling out we did and they followed, it also goes on to say we (City & Chelsea) were the last to sign as we feared being left behind, with luck we have scuppered their plans and this will all be forgotten in a couple of weeks.

Its easy for fans of clubs that were not invited to skit how do you know your club wouldn't have signed had they been offered the deal!

Manchester City have withdrawn from the European Super League (ESL) and Chelsea are also preparing to do so.

Chelsea were the first club to indicate they will not press ahead by preparing documentation to withdrawn. City withdrew soon after.

Chelsea and City were not drivers of this plan, they were the last to sign and feared being left behind.

I honestly don't think that this will be forgotten in a couple of weeks

I said yesterday I was disgusted to be a Chelsea fan, tonight I am proud they had the conviction to do the right thing and I hope lesson learnt

BBC Sport -

Manchester United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward will step down from his role at the end of 2021.

It comes amid widespread criticism of the proposed European Super League (ESL), with Manchester United one of six Premier League clubs to have initially signed up to the plan.
United's rivals Manchester City withdrew from the ESL on Tuesday and Chelsea are also planning to do so.

Woodward, 49, had been in the role since 2012.

Sky -

Last edited:
I said yesterday I was disgusted to be a Chelsea fan, tonight I am proud they had the conviction to do the right thing and I hope lesson learnt

My thoughts exactly and i am glad both our teams were first to pull out it shows they listen to the fans and were willing to admit they got it wrong.

Great to see clubs seeing sense, although it's not a race to pull out first, but really hope liverpool follow suit and do the only reasonable thing!! or the fans will never forgive FSG.

I hope they all pull out if they don't many of their fans will never forgive them.

BBC Sport -

Manchester United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward will step down from his role at the end of 2021.

It comes amid widespread criticism of the proposed European Super League (ESL), with Manchester United one of six Premier League clubs to have initially signed up to the plan.
United's rivals Manchester City withdrew from the ESL on Tuesday and Chelsea are also planning to do so.

Woodward, 49, had been in the role since 2012.

More to follow
Yes wonderful news now for the Glazers

it also goes on to say we (City & Chelsea) were the last to sign as we feared being left behind
I'm not sure that entirely exonerates them.

It was for many people still wrong to sign up to it.

I'm not sure that entirely exonerates them.

It was for many people still wrong to sign up to it.
Why it is business. If you had a business that was losing millions and it got over a massive contract, worth millions, if not billions, wouldn't you sign the contract. I would

Latest posts

Back