European Super League

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a bad idea for all the above reasons and how many fans can afford to travel abroad to watch a mid week game.

62B4729F-006F-4408-BCD4-02D1487DED9F.jpeg

If you haven't watched it all watch from 5:44 this is where the problem lies -

A spokesperson from Spirit of Shankly said they are appalled at the decision of Fenway Sports Group the clubs U.S based owner they said FSG have ignored fans in their relentless and greedy pursuit of money, football is ours not theirs

while fans may think their beloved team which they have supported all their lives is theirs it isn't its a business to be sold when the owner sees fit of loses interest , how often do you see these owners at the grounds!

It's a sorry and sordid business. I'm not sorry now that football is mo longer my premier sport and interest. As for the expense of fans travelling, this is not about the fans, it's about TV deals. Football is so big in Europe, the top clubs can do without gate receipts altogether.

Anyway, it's really all sabre-rattling and brinksmanship at the moment.

Its getting a bit serious -

BBC News -
The government has launched a "fan-led review" of football, after six English clubs announced they would take part in the planned European Super League.

Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden accused Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham of going "against the spirit of the game".
He said competition law could change if a "closed shop" arrangement went ahead.
Twelve European clubs have signed up to plans for the ESL.
The competition would have 20 teams. The 12 founding members - plus three yet to join - would be permanent and never face relegation.
The other five sides would have to qualify each year for the competition, to take place midweek and rival the Champions League.
Fans and pundits have expressed revulsion at what they claim would be an unfair competition, creating a closed shop at the top of European football.
In a statement to the House of Commons, Mr Dowden joined what he called their "roars of outrage".
He added that club owners "should remember that they are only temporary custodians of these clubs and that they forget fans at their peril".
The review had been due to take place after the pandemic, Mr Dowden said, adding that it had been brought forward because of the ESL announcement.
AC Milan, Atletico Madrid, Barcelona, Inter Milan, Juventus and Real Madrid are the other clubs who have signed up.
The 12 founding members of the ESL said the pandemic had "accelerated the instability in the existing European football economic model".
They added that there was a "need to provide higher-quality matches and additional financial resources for the overall football pyramid" - the interconnected system of leagues in the English game.
Speaking earlier on Monday, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said the government was "going to look at everything that we can do with the football authorities to make sure that this doesn't go ahead in the way that it's currently being proposed".

That is true for the lucky few that can afford it but will they want to if this becomes the norm, it won't have the same draw as the champions league.

How meant time have you heard managers say his players have too many games to cram in and now they want to add more.

That is true for the lucky few that can afford it but will they want to if this becomes the norm, it won't have the same draw as the champions league.

How meant time have you heard managers say his players have too many games to cram in and now they want to add more.
If you can't afford a flight and hotel in Ukraine, then a easy jet flight to Milan maybe a little bit affordable.

...years ago when it moved to Sky why didn't the same people kick up a hugev stink back then?

I think the main difference is that this essentially becomes a closed shop. The Premier League was about getting more money whilst still allowing smaller clubs to have the opportunity of playing in the big league. I never had Sky Sports and stopped following F1 when it switched to Sky. In a way this kind of feels similar to the breakaway championship the F1 teams used back in 2010.

As a Chelsea supporter I am disgusted by the club I have supported through good and bad times, and there have been plenty of bad times. I am hearing tonight the teams with American owners, United Liverpool and the **** were the main instigators Chelsea and City were very reluctant but feared being left behind and Spurs just gatecrashed but now Chelsea and City are looking to get out and if they can get Spurs to follow it could all fold. A sign of what could come is they timed the announcement for 11.30pm UK time so it hit prime time news in the US a sign of what sort of time we can expect kick off times

I hadn't heard that about city I hope they do the right thing and derail this nonsense.

I hadn't heard that about city I hope they do the right thing and derail this nonsense.

It's hard to say what is true and what is not at the moment but the Chelsea and City story was quoted a couple of times today including Sky sports news

I believe that the Glazers puppet Ed Woodward has been a key mover in this shambles. I hope he is banned from football for a long time.

I believe that the Glazers puppet Ed Woodward has been a key mover in this shambles. I hope he is banned from football for a long time.
If it gets his club more money it will be genius.
It's all down to tv rights and sky have had a monopoly on it far too long. Their service is so out of date and hopefully this shambles will bring better viewing for the fans.

The new champions league format is horrible.
Agreed. And it is something along the same lines. 2 golden ticket places added for the 'elite' with a pretence of more democratisation for another 2. A way to try to appease and ward off the Super League, but not enough. If you want to reduce meaningless games, reduce the numbers! Not increase from 32 to 36 with a dog's dinner of going through rules.

And yes, it may be, probably is a negotiating ploy.

But I thought it was an alternative to champions league, not an addition to.

Agreed. And it is something along the same lines. 2 golden ticket places added for the 'elite' with a pretence of more democratisation for another 2. A way to try to appease and ward off the Super League, but not enough. If you want to reduce meaningless games, reduce the numbers! Not increase from 32 to 36 with a dog's dinner of going through rules.

And yes, it may be, probably is a negotiating ploy.

But I thought it was an alternative to champions league, not an addition to.

I can't remember where I read it bit it said clubs would play it in addition, not sure if it was accurate.

I can't remember where I read it bit it said clubs would play it in addition, not sure if it was accurate.

Lots of rubbish written in the press today. Hard to make sense sometimes. I'll take stock again tomorrow.

Thought there was a slight irony when Chris Sutton (great player and not too bad pundit, imho) pretty much said money was ruining the game. 1990's? Jack Walker's millions?

I think it stinks. It’s an American takeover of our national game that, if it goes ahead, will be broadcast on the likes of Disney, Amazon and Netflix. I don’t think it’s guaranteed to happen. I don’t think the managers necessarily want it and I’m sure many players won’t - particularly when they’re told their international careers are over if it goes ahead.

This is about the greed of Chairmen and Directors - very few of whom in the Premier League are British or know anything about the history and culture of the game on these islands.

Back