European Super League

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am totally against this. It's down to greed. Correct me if I am wrong but sky did a money grab on football and went pay per view. I think darts did the same with the premier League of darts. F1 did the same.
What is the difference ?
Why not ask the question of how or why was the club's sold to outside investors in the first place

I don't know if this is correct but they are saying they are aiming at people who don't go to games and for fans who want to watch European football, if they were to charge £1 PPV and get 1.5 million viewers it's easy money.

I don't know other sports that well but is the 6 nations the same kind of set up. Do you have the same with golf or tennis. Elite tournaments

6 nations is international. The tournament as recently taken on 3rd party investment so we wait an see about any changes.

The big European competition in rugby as changed a number of times over the years, usually due to club pressure and threats of clubs quitting. Nothing new. Things need to evolve and take the power away from tv companies

With so called big teams playing each other every week these type of matches are going to lose their magic. Part of the excitement of something like Liverpool v Barcelona is that you have to earn the right to be there and it doesn’t happen very often.

A lot of people are saying why are the likes of Spurs and Arsenal in this, certainly not on past performance data. Probably more on potential Far East and Middle East tv revenue.

Obviously the whole ESL thing is all about money and not football. With a £3bn windfall the teams can attract the best (greedy) players. Maybe because of the massive amount of money the participants will dominate their domestic leagues (if they are allowed to play in it).

In reality I don’t think it will happen and it is all about getting more money out of UEFA. Still not a good thing as this just makes the divide between the rich successful clubs and every other club bigger.

Fans of the also ran teams are phoning in and saying bring it on get rid of the super rich teams out of the PL and let football get back to being played on a more level playing field.

Can you imagine if these 6 get booted out of the premier league and then the ESL fails. United, City and Liverpool would have to restart in the Northwest Counties League like my team 1874 Northwich.

Rumours already that at least two of the Premiership clubs may be losing their nerve. The backlash from the fans, other clubs and even the Government, appears to have taken them by surprise. I think the Super League will be put back into its box for a couple of years, but make no mistake, the subject will return at some point.

6 nations is international. The tournament as recently taken on 3rd party investment so we wait an see about any changes.

The big European competition in rugby as changed a number of times over the years, usually due to club pressure and threats of clubs quitting. Nothing new. Things need to evolve and take the power away from tv companies
There’s also the fact that there are very few top level national rugby sides in Europe. There’s only Georgia who you could argue should be included, and that’s been talked about multiple times over the last 5 or 6 years.

On the other hand, this super league isn’t even about the best football teams in Europe - AC Milan haven’t won a league title for 10 years, Tottenham haven’t won one for more than 60, the current European champions aren’t taking part etc etc. It’s clearly about helping the rich get richer without the “inconvenience” of having to play teams like Basel, Olympiakos or Ferencvaros in European competition.

Last edited:
There’s also the fact that there are very few top level national rugby sides in Europe. There’s only Georgia who you could argue should be included, and that’s been talked about multiple times over the last 5 or 6 years.

On the other hand, this super league isn’t even about the best football teams in Europe - AC Milan haven’t won a league title for 10 years, Tottenham haven’t won one for more than 60, the current European champions aren’t taking part etc etc. It’s clearly about helping the rich get richer without the “inconvenience” of having to play teams like Basel, Olympiakos or Ferencvaros in European competition.
I wonder how much the owners actually make from the clubs?

Has this been in the pipeline for a while now if I remember rightly Celtic were on about they should have been included in a Europeon league. It's not only football that's changing as the American backers are trying to get baseball noticed in the UK and it's not a coincidence a few years ago the head of of a big sports organisation in America attended the Indian Premier League cricket with the view to export cricket to the US. The big sports organisations will stop at nothing to expand their markets.

Can you imagine if these 6 get booted out of the premier league and then the ESL fails. United, City and Liverpool would have to restart in the Northwest Counties League like my team 1874 Northwich.
Good league the NWCL. Support non league football, watch the game with a pint, can't beat it. Whitchurch Alport here.

Good league the NWCL. Support non league football, watch the game with a pint, can't beat it. Whitchurch Alport here.
I am an owner of 1874 Northwich with one share as do 250+ others. Great model after NVFC was taken over by a convicted drugs dealer we formed a pheonix club. Two promotions later were in the NPL.

European Super League clubs' debts;

Chelsea £1.3bn
Man United £480m
Spurs £535m
Liverpool £150m
Arsenal £200m
Barcelona £1.2bn
Real Madrid £730m
Athletico £950m
AC Milan £260m
Juve £350m
Inter £600m

Only Manchester City are debt free.

European Super League clubs' debts;

Chelsea £1.3bn
Man United £480m
Spurs £535m
Liverpool £150m
Arsenal £200m
Barcelona £1.2bn
Real Madrid £730m
Athletico £950m
AC Milan £260m
Juve £350m
Inter £600m

Only Manchester City are debt free.

Get with the programme! If you're rich enough, it doesn't seem to matter how much debt you have!

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to apply to the rest of us! asad.

The European Super League was created "to save football", says Real Madrid president Florentino Perez.

Real are one of the 12 European clubs who have signed up to the breakaway league and intend to establish a new midweek competition.

Perez said the move had been made because young people are "no longer interested in football" because of "a lot of poor quality games".

"Whenever there is change, there are always people who oppose it," he said.

The English 'big six' of Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham have agreed to join the new league.

The move has been criticised by football authorities and government ministers in the UK and widely condemned across Europe by Uefa and leagues associations.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson will hold a meeting with football's governing bodies on Tuesday to discuss the move, while the 14 Premier League clubs not included in the plans are also scheduled to meet.

Perez said that the top teams were losing money and that big-name matches would help increase their revenue.

"We are doing this to save football at this critical moment," Perez told Spanish TV show El Chiringuito de Jugones.

"If we continue with the Champions League there is less and less interest and then it's over.

"The new format which starts in 2024 is absurd. In 2024, we are all dead."

Plans for a revamped 36-team Champions League, starting in 2024, were confirmed by Uefa on Monday.

He added: "In the '50s, it was a similar situation. Uefa and Fifa went against the new European Cup, but that competition changed football."

AC Milan chief executive Ivan Gazidis said the ESL would be "a new, exciting chapter for the game" and that it will "provide value and support" across European football.

"We're confident that this new competition will capture the imagination of billions of soccer fans all over the world," he said.

Gazidis also said the club wants to continue to play in Serie A, which he said "will remain the most important weekend competition in Italy".

Juventus manager Andrea Pirlo came out in support of the ESL and the club's owner Andrea Agnelli, who quit as European Club Association (ECA) chairman after signing the Turin club up to the new competition.

"He explained this project to us, he gave us great confidence, but the most important thing he told us is that we have to continue with our work," Pirlo said.

Full article - European Super League created to 'save football' - Real Madrid president Florentino Perez - BBC Sport

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to apply to the rest of us! asad.
You know what they say. If you owe the bank 100 thousand and default, you've got a problem.
If you owe the bank 100 million and default, they've got a problem.

Back