Evil Dog Double IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SEMERHET

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm new to the site, first post as been spending time reading through lots of other posts. I've just got back into homebrewing after about 30 years. I have some Evil Dog Double IPA on the go, set it away on Tuesday. There doesn't appear to be very much activity, should I be worried?, this is the second brew I've attempted, the first being Beerworks Dockers IPA that is bottled and ready to drink, I had no issues with this and it was very active in the FV, thanks.

Welcome to the forum.

I would not be to worried at this point in time. If you have just added dry yeast to the top of the wort then it will have some lag time.
Things to look out for:
Lid on your fermenter not being on 100%, allowing CO2 out that way and not through the air lock.
Keeping your fermenter at a good stable temperature.

In any case, always having a spare pack of dry yeast, is a good plan for any brewer.

Thanks Neil, I've checked lid and it appears to be ok, I'll give it another day or two and add some more dry yeast if needed.

Checked this morning and it's flat, lots of sediment in the bottom of the bucket, could it have failed or should I give it a stir and add more yeast

A few extra tips:
  1. If you still have the packaging, look at the expiry date. It could be that the kit has been on a shelf for some time and the supplied yeast is not in tip top condition.
  2. Resist opening the fermenter too often as it will just increase the chance of infection.
  3. If you can, slightly increase the temp and with the lid on, swirl the wort in the fermenter to put the yeast in suspension.
  4. Read through the thread for this kit, it might give insight to lag time: Bulldog, Evil Dog Double IPA

A few extra tips:
  1. If you still have the packaging, look at the expiry date. It could be that the kit has been on a shelf for some time and the supplied yeast is not in tip top condition.
  2. Resist opening the fermenter too often as it will just increase the chance of infection.
  3. If you can, slightly increase the temp and with the lid on, swirl the wort in the fermenter to put the yeast in suspension.
  4. Read through the thread for this kit, it might give insight to lag time: Bulldog, Evil Dog Double IPA

Thanks, the lid is raised outward so it must be doing something, I'll give it a gentle swirl too 🤞, thanks for the link its really helpful.

I brewed this in January. I wasn’t convinced the 11g pack of supplied yeast would do the job for 23L of 1.061 wort so I pitched 2 packs of Mangrove Jack’s M44 that I had in the fridge. Fermented out no problem down to 1.004. Sorry I know that’s too late to help you now, but maybe for next time?

Also, this tasted really rough when it was first kegged an carbonated, so much so that I considered tipping it. However I left it in the keg. I had a pint last night and it was lovely!! Definitely worth the patience with this one. Sounds obvious with a 7.5% beer but a lot of the kits emphasise the quick turnaround.

Latest posts

Back