Evil Dog IPA on the go.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andybiker

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I kicked off an Evil Dog IPA last Saturday and all seemed good for the first few days.. I had to use a brew belt on and off to try to maintain a decent temp.

Room seems to vary between 16 and 19 degrees. With the brew belt on it shoots up to 26 which seems a bit warm but without it's usually around 20. definitely get more bubbles from the airlock with the brew belt on but was worried about killing the yeast

Its now day 6 and it seems to have slowed a little - maybe every 10 seconds or so without the belt

My question is my FV has no tap or anything so to draw some off to test with the hydrometer do i just open the lid and dip it in or should i use a syphon?

Also as i dont have enough bottles yet and if it's finished soon am i ok to add the hop pellets and leave for a couple of days or can it spoil in the FV if it's finished and sat at room temp for a bit longer than it needs to?

Thanks in advance

I just sterilise a small glass and scoop up a small amount of liquid for the hydrometer.

It'll now have plenty of alcohol to protect it from infection. I'd be leaving it for at least 14 days in the FV so you could dry hop at 9 or 10 days. Personally I don't think there's any need to rack to a clean FV. Just bottle from what it's in.

Thanks guys,

Bought 3 bottles of Citra & Proper Job from Tesco today as i needed the bottles and they came with free beer in them.

acheers.

Hi all,

Tested gravity today and it's around 1014 so still a bit to go. By my reckoning with the initial gravity around 1060 that makes it currently around 6% I'll test in another few days and then add the hops.

What should the final gravity be so I know when it's done?

Is that when I add the hops and leave for a couple of days before bottling or do I add hops before its finished?

Thanks.

Hi Guys,

Bottled this last Sunday.. had a taste and have to say it tasted a bit funny.

20191014_222021.jpg

Tried it a couple of days before when testing the gravity and tested ok.

But it just seemed a bit watery and flavourless.. all I had done was added the hop bags 2 days before. Didne even taste hoppy at all.

Hoping my taste buds were a bit off and will come good after 2 weeks secondary fermentation and a couple of weeks in the garage.

All I did was add 1.5 carb drops, fill all the bottles and cap at the end.

Maybe I should have capped as I went along? Could this make a difference?

I'd be surprised.

Andy, I brewed this a while back. I took it up to SG 1.080 with some brewing sugar, made it a little short to 35 pints, and also added a hop tea of Cascade when I put it into my keg. I left it to condition for a few weeks and it was absolutely cracking, albeit a bit strong :-)

Hi Guys,

View attachment 21114

But it just seemed a bit watery and flavourless.. all I had done was added the hop bags 2 days before. Didne even taste hoppy at all.

Hoping my taste buds were a bit off and will come good after 2 weeks secondary fermentation and a couple of weeks in the garage.

I'd be surprised.
Hi Guys,

View attachment 21114

I'd be surprised.

I did this one a month or so ago as my first brew, I had a low reading 1.048 which I think was due to me not really shaking the wort, but who knows. I left it for 12 days then added the hops, I didn’t stir them in very well and it never really had that hoppy taste, when finished it almost had a cider smell, maybe it was infected! Anyway I just started this again and got my first reading of 1.070 som I’m hopeful!

A cider smell may be acetaldehyde. It's a precursor in the yeast's production of alcohol but sometimes doesn't all get converted. Hopefully all of it will be changed to alcohol during conditioning though I have once had to throw a brew because of it. That was a summer brew so it's possibly connected to fermentation temperature.

Latest posts

Back