Evil Dog IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I brewed this kit some time ago, following the instructions to the letter. I took hydrometer readings and everything was as it should be, with the brew coming out around the 7.2% mark. I bottled the brew, leaving it in a warm cupboard for a fortnight for the secondary fermentation and then put the bottles in my shed for a further two weeks to clear. I then brought it in from the shed and the 40 bottles have been in the cupboard under the stairs for about 4 weeks or so, to condition further. I tried the first bottle just now, and whilst it tastes ok, there is no ‘frothy head’ which I was expecting. I added one carbonation drop to each bottle as instructed, but I’m wondering if I should have either added a second drop, or batch primed it in another vessel and then bottled it. Don’t get me wrong, it tastes ok, and I’ll drink it all. (In fact, the second one is going down nicely), but I usually get at least some head retention from such beers. Any thoughts or suggestions for future brews would be gratefully received.

Thank you,

Gaz

I used carbonation drops on my first beer as it came with my starter kit. However for every Brew since I have batch primed on Bottling day. It is easy and for me I know that every bottle has the same carbonation. I mix brewing sugar with 400ml of hot water and then add it to the Bottling Bucket before transferring the beer. Followed bt a very gentle stir just before Bottling. There is a calculator for gauging the amount of sugar for each type of beer at the top of this forum.

Gaz, I have a similar situation with my Evil Dog in that it doesn't have much of a head. I batch primed with 160g of caster sugar for 23L so I can only think the yeast had little left to give after initial fermentation. Maybe it's just not a gassy ale. Goes down nicely out if the fridge just the same. I'm away for one now as it happens. I'll take a pic once I've poured it.

Cheers Gaz!
20211210_203419.jpg

Thank you, I think I’ll batch prime all my brews in future.
I used carbonation drops on my first beer as it came with my starter kit. However for every Brew since I have batch primed on Bottling day. It is easy and for me I know that every bottle has the same carbonation. I mix brewing sugar with 400ml of hot water and then add it to the Bottling Bucket before transferring the beer. Followed bt a very gentle stir just before Bottling. There is a calculator for gauging the amount of sugar for each type of beer at the top of this forum.

If you are doing kit beers you can add heading fluid which is supposed to aid head retention.
I personally do AG so it is much easier for AG brewers to add certain grains like Carapils/Wheat etc in the recipe to help with the head.
Do not too hung up as Rod says as long as the beer is carbonated and tastes well you have got things right apart from the cosmetics athumb..
Ps make sure it is not the glass as the slightest traces of dishwasher/washing up liquid will kill the head just a thought

I've found this too with other Bulldog kits. Beers and cider. Came to to the conclusion it must be the yeast running out of oomph. I've never had an issue with other kits. I always batch prime same way as damienair. During first lockdown I made their Rajas Reward which has a reputation of 'sticking' around 1.020. As an experiment, I used MJ Liberty bell yeast. It only got down to 1.016 after 3 weeks at which point I bottled it and it carbonated ok.

Thank you. I think I’ll be batch priming all my future brews.

I've found this too with other Bulldog kits. Beers and cider. Came to to the conclusion it must be the yeast running out of oomph. I've never had an issue with other kits. I always batch prime same way as damienair. During first lockdown I made their Rajas Reward which has a reputation of 'sticking' around 1.020. As an experiment, I used MJ Liberty bell yeast. It only got down to 1.016 after 3 weeks at which point I bottled it and it carbonated ok.

I find the glass can make a big difference, no disrespect intended but the glass in your picture looks like B+M job. The pub glasses with the sparkler dimples in the bottom seem to really hold head retention, along with a long pour.
Don‘t ask me where you can buy pub glasses though :tinhat:

Back