Excess ingredients...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

First post and perhaps a question that I already know the answer to but I thought that I'd ask anyhow.

I brew a little bit. Not as much as I would like but I really don't have the space or set-up yet, but I'll still get around to producing something every couple of months. The process usually involves me finding a recipe in a book or on-line, ordering the ingredients and getting to it. But each time I do this I end up with unused hops which generally come in bags of 100g but at time I only need 15g for a 23L batch. The rest just sit in the bottom of my freezer for months until I forget about them.
Is there a method of managing excess hops that I should be using? Should I look at my stash every so often and choose my next beer to maximise what I have in stock rather than ordering in new supplies. And if this is the case is there a tool that I could use where when I enter in what I have it tells me what beers I could possibly produce (ignoring malt and yeast inputs for the time being)?

Would it work if I were to join a club and take excess along to even give to others? Is this something that's done in the UK?

Hi All,

First post and perhaps a question that I already know the answer to but I thought that I'd ask anyhow.

I brew a little bit. Not as much as I would like but I really don't have the space or set-up yet, but I'll still get around to producing something every couple of months. The process usually involves me finding a recipe in a book or on-line, ordering the ingredients and getting to it. But each time I do this I end up with unused hops which generally come in bags of 100g but at time I only need 15g for a 23L batch. The rest just sit in the bottom of my freezer for months until I forget about them.
Is there a method of managing excess hops that I should be using? Should I look at my stash every so often and choose my next beer to maximise what I have in stock rather than ordering in new supplies. And if this is the case is there a tool that I could use where when I enter in what I have it tells me what beers I could possibly produce (ignoring malt and yeast inputs for the time being)?

Would it work if I were to join a club and take excess along to even give to others? Is this something that's done in the UK?

My methods:
-vacuum sealer
-old stuff goes first
-sometimes I old bittering hops so I don't have to buy fresh
-https://www.crossmyloofbrew.co.uk/online-store/25g-Hop-Pellet-Tea-Bags-from-p85504204

I design my recipes to use full 100g amounts. In general this works OK as I like hoppy beers. If I were making a lot of milds or lagers I'd probably need to think of a better way of storing things long term. For bittering hops I just use one or two varieties rather than using whatever a recipe might suggest.

I had a freezer drawer full of packets of half used cones and pellets so I wrote a list and targeted using some of them up. I brewed hoppy IPAs swapping some recipe hops for similar ones in the freezer. Next I rounded a lot, 20g too much or too little just ignore the over, or throw in something similar for the under. Ones I can't do without I order in smaller quants from CML.
It's a lot tidier in there now but next time I do an IPA I plan to have a final blitz and throw the kitchen sink in, that'll just leave me with about 400g of magnum cones to work through for bittering.

As others have mentioned I also keep a stock check on Excel, I'm happy to share my template if this is of interest.

However I'm moving to a smaller flat soon so I'll be using up all my ingredients and moving forward buying from Geter Brew's recipe builder.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

It looks like I'm going to have to keep stock in a spreadsheet and as Clint said, brew a user-upper every so often. I'll use the forum to see if someone can come up with something based on what I have.

Geter brewed is a pretty good solution and I think I'll give them a go next time and see what I get sent. There's perhaps a few hops that I have in the feezer that they don't stock but that's not the end of the world.

Latest posts

Back