Excessive sediment in bottles / Morgans Ultra Premium Pacific Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Random Badger

Regular.
Reaction score
I made a Morgans Ultra Premium Pacific Pale Ale as follows:

Morgans Pacific Pale Ale 1.7KG
Mangrove Jacks malt extract 1.2KG
Brewing sugar 0.24 KG
21 litres brew length
OG 1050
Dry hopped with Summit

It seemed to get a bit stuck around 1014 so I turned up the heat pad and left it fermenting for a full 3 weeks (hops added for the last 4 days) and bottled it with a reading of 1010 a week ago. The bottles have firmed up nicely, but checking today they all seem to have a considerable amount of sediment in the bottom - certainly more than I have noticed for any other beer I have made. Is this a cause for concern (e.g. a sign that primary fermentation may have still been ongoing) or has anyone found the same thing when making this Morgans kit or similar? Is extra sediment likely to have a negative impact on the taste?

For now my thinking it just to keep it under observation as it still seems a bit early to be opening bottles to try the beer. Obviously don't want them to start exploding though!

Last edited:
I'd guess it's just that you managed to stir up more sediment when bottling this batch. Given it sounds like it should have fermented out before bottling unless you've got good reason to think you added too much sugar during bottling I wouldn't worry. I doubt the sediment would affect the flavour much, I've never noticed a correlation anyway.

If you are worried they're over-carbonating then opening a trial bottle early is a good way to find out.

Back