Excited to brew.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy_OC

Reaction score
Hello .

Andy here , new member from Cumbria. Decided to join after gleaning so much info from this UK centric site that it felt the logical next step.

I've spent the last couple of weeks at work researching all grain brewing. I've 'invested' in an electric brew kettle circa 25 litres after seeing it wasn't much more of an outlay than a decent SS stock pot.

I love to drink gallons of beer and the prospect of brewing my own has me thirsty. I've purchased the Graham Wheeler book and plan to work my way through it. I hope to make mild's, bitters and stouts...at session strength rather than wifebeater. I'll be using this forum's water calculator along with GW's book and look forward to sharing the progress.

TTFN,

Andy

Welcome Andy.

I've got the Graham Wheeler book too. I've done a number of recipes from it over the years and they worked out very well.
Yes I'm looking forward to having a go at them . Perhaps the Landlord recepie first although it will be with S 04 yeast rather than West Yorkshire.

Yes I'm looking forward to having a go at them . Perhaps the Landlord recepie first although it will be with S 04 yeast rather than West Yorkshire.
Welcome to the forum, I’ve made the Graham Wheeler Landlord recipe a few times using S-04 while I wouldn’t describe it as a perfect clone it does make an excellent Bitter non the less.

I'd recommend making the Big Lamp Bitter as well from that book...great pint. I used US-05 and it worked well. Chatting to another member here a while ago raised a question of recipe difference between print editions of this book. I have a 1998 edition which has different weights for the hops than a later edition - and when I put the recipe into an app I also got different IBU values to that given in the book. Good luck brewing. 👍

I'd recommend making the Big Lamp Bitter as well from that book...great pint. I used US-05 and it worked well. Chatting to another member here a while ago raised a question of recipe difference between print editions of this book. I have a 1998 edition which has different weights for the hops than a later edition - and when I put the recipe into an app I also got different IBU values to that given in the book. Good luck brewing. 👍
I suppose the main thing is to get brewing , keep notes and see what you like.

My first book that I used for recipes was 'Brewing beers like those you buy' by Dave Line.

I've made Summer Lightning a few times from the Graham Wheeler book. That worked out well. I've done a few more from there too but I can't remember their names off the top of my head.

Latest posts

Back