Expat Returns

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all
Thought I'd introduce myself to the forum.

Just returned to the UK after living in Australia for nearly 30 years. Been brewing for nearly all of those years and overtime built myself a 4 tier gravity system. Unfortunately I couldn't bring the system over due to its size and in my new house i'd never fit in anyway!

I've just bought a 35l brewzilla and am looking forward to using it. Where I'll be using it is not near a tap so I've decided to try no chill brewing. Bizzarely I've never tried it even though it was pioneered in Australia.

Two questions that I hope someone can help me with.

Can anyone recommend a HDPE cube supplier I can use for this and where's the best place to buy grain and hops from? I'm near Banbury and can't find a local homebrew shop so I'm looking at ordering online.

Cheers Phil

Welcome Rangaman.
How are you finding the UK after 3 decades in Oz? I don't think Jobo's much of an improvement on Scomo, personally.
So what kind of beer do you like brewing/drinking?

Welcome to the forum.
I do no chill all the time and bought a cube off Ebay if I remember and have only used it for getting RO water from the local aquarium shop. I just put my wort into the fermenter and let it cool there, I put on the 4" screw cap and cover the bung hole with clingfilm while it cools.
I am sure you will get other suggestions of how to do it as well

Welcome Rangaman.
How are you finding the UK after 3 decades in Oz? I don't think Jobo's much of an improvement on Scomo, personally.
So what kind of beer do you like brewing/drinking?
Scomo or Johnson? Hmm what a choice! I guess at least Boris has a personality.

Started brewing English ales as I missed them so much, but over time the craft beer industry in Australia has improved so much and now everything is available. Whether imported or brewed in the country. Started brewing NEIPA's about 15 years ago and that's my general choice. But for now I'm going to try and brew Cooper's sparkling ale. Just got to find some pride of Ringwood hops......

Welcome to the forum.
I do no chill all the time and bought a cube off Ebay if I remember and have only used it for getting RO water from the local aquarium shop. I just put my wort into the fermenter and let it cool there, I put on the 4" screw cap and cover the bung hole with clingfilm while it cools.
I am sure you will get other suggestions of how to do it as well
I've found one on eBay that appears ok but I've always felt funny about putting near boiling wort in plastic and leaching nasty stuff into the beer. I'll report back once I've brewed.

Scomo or Johnson? Hmm what a choice! I guess at least Boris has a personality.

Started brewing English ales as I missed them so much, but over time the craft beer industry in Australia has improved so much and now everything is available. Whether imported or brewed in the country. Started brewing NEIPA's about 15 years ago and that's my general choice. But for now I'm going to try and brew Cooper's sparkling ale. Just got to find some pride of Ringwood hops......
You should have brought them with you. I haven't been able to find any in the UK or Europe. I get mine here: https://beerco.com.au/
It was a toss up between PoR and Superpride, but the PoR was the more recent harvest. Postage can be a bit steep. Best value is for about 400g of whatever.
Personality, Yeah the kind of personality I'd love to slap. But enough. Macron's won another 5 years this side of the ditch and that's cause for celebration in my book.

I've found one on eBay that appears ok but I've always felt funny about putting near boiling wort in plastic and leaching nasty stuff into the beer. I'll report back once I've brewed.
Let the wort cool and settle out for an hour before transferring to the Cube/FV which obviously should be clean and sanitised which will be below boiling point and should be food safe I think it is something like HDPE?

You should have brought them with you. I haven't been able to find any in the UK or Europe. I get mine here: https://beerco.com.au/
It was a toss up between PoR and Superpride, but the PoR was the more recent harvest. Postage can be a bit steep. Best value is for about 400g of whatever.
Personality, Yeah the kind of personality I'd love to slap. But enough. Macron's won another 5 years this side of the ditch and that's cause for celebration in my book.
The lesser of two evils? I've enrolled to vote in the Aussie election. Can't see scomo not winning but we live in hope.

Considering centennial for the brew. Always brewed with pellets. Imported whole hole hops are near impossible to get in Australia due to quarantine restrictions.

Latest posts

Back