Explosive Mobile?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CD

Retired Brewer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My mobile phone looked a bit odd this afternoon, it seemed to be swelling. I showed it to my Grandson, who supplied it, and he said it could burst into flames or explode any minute, and put it out in the garden. As it had lived in my trouser pocket for years, that was rather worrying!

Has anybody else had a similar problem?

Sounds like an issue with the battery....probably a lithium battery overheating resulting in "thermal runaway".

I believe that a few Samsung devices suffered from this a few years ago. Its why airlines don't like you putting devices with lithium batteries in your hold luggage.

We recently replaced SWMBO's phone for the same reason the phone was old so it wasn't worth replacing the battery, the worry is unlike her phone most of today's phones are sealed so you wouldn't know, I googled swallen batteries and found people's screens being pushed out of these sealed phones, I wonder how common this is.

We recently replaced SWMBO's phone for the same reason the phone was old so it wasn't worth replacing the battery, the worry is unlike her phone most of today's phones are sealed so you wouldn't know, I googled swallen batteries and found people's screens being pushed out of these sealed phones, I wonder how common this is.
It is quite a common problem with anything that's got a Lithium battery pack. It's happened to a work colleague's Apple laptop and someone else's Microsoft surface device. Both had to go back to the manufacturer for warranty replacement.

I had a frightening experience when I was trying to change the screen on my son's Xiaomi phone. Probably my fault as I must have pierced the battery. Was sitting at the kitchen table and smoke started coming from the phone. I ran out the back and launched the phone into the garden only to see it in flames in mid air. Can laugh about it now but at the time....:eek:

Latest posts

Back