Extract Brewing, Stout brew walk through.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just tried my bottle of this that TS gave me :oops:

It's bloody lovely :cheers:

I let it settle for 9 months......

Great 'how to' Tubby, :thumb:

Just one newbie question, after dechlorinating the water in the boiler, is the water brought to the boil before you add the dme, or do you desolve it in the unheated water before power is applied?

Thankyou,

jeff.

Add the dried malt to the cool water, believe it or not it's easier to dissolve it in the cold water as it forms big clumps in hot water :thumb:

Great HOWTO and I a just about to try my first extract brew following this. I just need to finish my hop strainer and off I will go.

One question i do have, is you mention adding 'late' hops. What variety were you using ?

gsidford said:
Great HOWTO and I a just about to try my first extract brew following this. I just need to finish my hop strainer and off I will go.

One question i do have, is you mention adding 'late' hops. What variety were you using ?
They were Northdowns added for the last 15 mins of the boil :-)

Thanks for that, now one more question.

You say to remove the grains when the temp gets to 70 degrees, now does it matter over what period they seep for or is it the temperature at removal which is the important item.

My boiler is just going through its final test boil before doing the stout in the morning and having two elements in it, I can halve the warm up time, but is their an optimum time for this stage ?

Steep for as long as it takes to get to 70°c. You do not want to go over this temperature as you risk extracting tannins from the grains which can impart an astringent taste to the finished beer.

Hoping to get my first extract brew going on sunday following this excellent "how to..", but just one question.

20L was tap water was added to the boiler but you ended with 24L of wort? Was there a typo or were you topping up in the boiler?

Cheers!

No not a typo, the malt extract increases the volume and what I forgot to mention was that I sparged the hops to release the extract remaining in them :thumb:

great! I am making my first extract brew soon, looking forward to trying it on a smaller scale with a 11 litre stock pot. Will make up to final volume after the boil. Not ideal. but OK (I hope) and better than a kit (I hope).

tubby_shaw said:
No not a typo, the malt extract increases the volume and what I forgot to mention was that I sparged the hops to release the extract remaining in them :thumb:

Forgive the continuing questions!

This was after you ran the wort into the FV so you're sparging the spent hops at the bottom of the boiler? I guess the water used should've been boiled before doing this?

Thanks

:cheers: Fantastic walk thru and just what I was looking for, I do love a good stout and I am currently setting up for Extract brewing so this page has put the whole thing into perspective.

I was lucky enough to pick up the lidl jam boiler for 29.99 at the turn of the year and now all I need is a cooler.

Hi, A walk through on boiler making would be great!

Is that a homebrew fermenter with kettle elements added ?

I thought something like that would melt, did you have to fashion some kind of heat resistant spacer between the bin and the element?

I have an old copper hot water tank in the shed ,can I utilise that in some devious homebrew way :?: :hmm:

spudbasher said:
Hi, A walk through on boiler making would be great!

Is that a homebrew fermenter with kettle elements added ?

I thought something like that would melt, did you have to fashion some kind of heat resistant spacer between the bin and the element?

I have an old copper hot water tank in the shed ,can I utilise that in some devious homebrew way :?: :hmm:
Have a look HERE muddydisco goes into a lot of detail about building a brewery including boilers :thumb:

Thanks Tubby for the clear explanation. I'm at the kit-modding stage at the moment and so extract is the next logical step for me in my quest for satisfaction. I have an extract recipe for Batham's bitter, pale and lightly hopped in the Black Country style. The largest pot I have for now is about 7 litres so 5 litres is about as much as I can boil.

My newbie question is: if I wanted to double the volume by dilution would it be better to boil only half the total extract [extra pale with no other malts] with all the hops? I understand that concentrated wort reduces the extraction of the bitterness from the hops. On the other hand it seems I don't really need to boil the extract in itself, the boil is all about getting the "juice" out of the hops. So could I add the other half of the extract after the boil with another 5 litres of water? I'd then have ten litres to ferment in my little polypin or two 5 litre water bottles under airlock.

Latest posts

Back