EXTRACT NEIPA RECIPE

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S.R.S

Reaction score
Hi All,
Very new to extract recipes and trying to get to grips with a recipe I have taken from Brewers Friend and scaled down.
I have copied and pasted the key elements below and would really appreciate your help.
My key question relates to hop additions in bold. I understand the 2 hops in the boil should be added 10 and 5 mins respectively before end of boil but I am not clear on the whirlpool additions.
Does this mean after flameout but keeping that temp range stated before cooling for the duration of the time stated , i.e. for 10 minutes after flameout? if so how does one maintain that temp range and does it really make such a difference?
After the ten minute expires, is the hops to be taken out?
When dry hopping, in all cases does number of days (aside from the notes) refer to at the end of fermentation or days into fermentation?
Secondly, none of these recipes state when the DME should be added either to cold water and brought up to boil or to boiling water. The recipes do have an option to tick late additions (not listed below) but does not suggest at what point those fermentable should be added, if late.
Any suggestions on this please?

Any help hugely appreciated.
Many thanks,

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: EXTRACT NEIPA

Brew Method: Extract
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 30 min
Batch Size: 15 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 18 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.039
Efficiency: 35% (steeping grains only)

Hop Utilization Multiplier: 1

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.047
Final Gravity: 1.011
ABV (standard): 4.72%
IBU (tinseth): 33.26
SRM (morey): 3.11

FERMENTABLES:
1.5 kg - Dry Malt Extract - Extra Light (75%)
0.5 kg - Dry Malt Extract - Wheat (25%)

HOPS:
2 g - citra t90, Type: Pellet, AA: 13.6, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 1.84
6 g - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 11.3, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 2.53
20.44 g - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.4, Use: Whirlpool for 10 min at 93 C, IBU: 11.45
20.44 g - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.4, Use: Whirlpool for 20 min at 66 C
20.44 g - El Dorado, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.8, Use: Whirlpool for 10 min at 93 C, IBU: 17.44
20.44 g - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 11.3, Use: Whirlpool for 20 min at 66 C
10.2 g - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 11.3, Use: Dry Hop for 6 days
20.44 g - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.4, Use: Dry Hop for 3 days
20.44 g - El Dorado, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.8, Use: Dry Hop for 3 days

YEAST:
Danstar - Nottingham Ale Yeast
Starter: Yes
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 77%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Temp: 13.89 - 21.11 C
Fermentation Temp: 20 C
Pitch Rate: 0.35 (M cells / ml / deg P)

PRIMING:
CO2 Level: 2.25 Volumes

NOTES:
DRY HOP: Added 0.5 Mosaic 3rd day of primary fermentation...the other 2 oz added for 3 days after primary complete. Pellets added directly to primary.

Hi SRS...
im also new to all this but i have just made an extract based NEIPA also and its still in the FV right now. So my 2 cents for what its worth from a newbie.
Yes its indicating to do the whirlpool at 93c. If its not boiling then you’re extracting more aroma and flavor than bitterness.
The dry hop additions aren’t very clear As the NOTES later in the recipe contradict a bit so I wont comment.
About the DME, there also seems to be a lot of debate whether you need to even boil DME, depends on whether you trust whether it could have become contaminated prior to bagging.

So for what its worth, here is the recipe and method i used. NOTE, this is the first time i have done a NEIPA...and its only been in the FV for 3 days... despite the high OG of 1.061 it was already down to 1.017 today ... yes, after only 3 days... the yeast was rampant! it seems. But it smelt and tasted super today when i took the reading while adding he first dry hop. Use this recipe at your peril, as I have no benchmark whether its good or not / but it was an easy first one to try.

Note this is a 10.5ltr batch i made.
1kg Medium DME
0.5 kg Wheat DME
225g golden syrup
Wyeast London Ale III yeast

Hop Schedule and method;
a. 75g in total equal part Citra, cascade, Amarillo and mosaic / boiled in 2ltrs of water at 80c for 10mins, then taken off the heat for further 30mins. Then Strained into the FV through a sanitized strainer, then added golden syrup and DME. Topped up with cold water, and a little bit of boiling water also to the 10.5 litre mark to maintain 22deg temp for pitching the yeast. No boiling of the DME as you can see in this recipe. Stired vigorously as usual. Took gravity reading and was 1.061 as expected. Then pitched my yeast.

(note that I pitched 2 packs of the yeast as both were old and according to calcs on BrewersFriend I only had 20% and 40% viable cells, hence i pitched both 2...however at this was a 10ltr batch i still may have overpitched (

b. Dry Hop 1: 50g total same mix as above / for dry hop at high Krausen, which was my day 3. Added hops to hop sock weighted down with a teaspoon In the sock. I plan to leave for 5days max, just based on guidance from David Heath on YouTube to avoid hop burn.

c. Dry Hop 2: 25g total same mix as above. Again ill add to hopsock. I plan to add 3days before botttling which will probably be much sooner than expected based on the current SG reading today!!!!

d. I plan to batch prime in the primary FV, then bottle.

So there you have it. I have no idea if that is of any use to you at all 😀 As you see I will have used 150g of hops in total for the 10.5ltr recipe, this was purely based on recommendation i read from David Heath not to exceed 300g of dry hops for a 21ltr recipe, im sure others have different opinions...

Last edited:
Back