Extractor fan

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daveg

Reaction score
Hi fellas,
I'm still trying to move my gear into my shed. It's only 10' x 6' and coming along nicely. Electrics are in, all plumbing (including a sink) is done part from linking to main drain all thanks to you fine chaps and I've laid some Lino and partially insulated the walls. Probably won't work but it looks the part.
My next job is some kind of extraction. I've thought about opening a window up and making some kind of shutter on the outside then blowing the steam out with a fan, which is how I managed in my kitchen, but that's a bit Heath Robinson and didn't do the job as good as I'd have liked. I'm a bit tight for space for a cooker hood, and I know nothing about extractor fans apart from what I've picked up off the forum. Would a 6" Systemair RVK extractor fan with 430 metres squared of extraction per hour do the trick or is that just good enough to circulate air? It's all gobbledygook to me.
If sited properly will it suck all the steam from my boiler out (obviously with ducting to the outside and the u-bend etc to catch condensation) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

stick with the blowing idea imho, if y suck out the steam, u will need to consider a water trap to stop the condensate in the extraction pipe hitting the fan water + electricity = not a good idea..

blowing out the door worked a treat for me on my first in the shed brew once i had opened a window to let fresh air back in..

10369580565_256f9e8649.jpg

My options are 1. The window thing, 2. 4 casters and a bit of wood and wheel the boiler to the door and 3. An extractor fan of some description. I would like the latter but I agree about the water. Aren't these fans inherently water proof to some degree because of the humidity in the rooms they grow their drugs lol?

There are fans that can be used in shower cubical walls were they will be exposed to tremendous humidity.

Do you think one of them would would be suitable?

Aamcle

have a 600mm cooker hood, in a small shed also. You could maybe put into a corner instead of the middle so its out the way. Mine was £15 brand new and works excellent. No steam at all in the shed.
Before I used to boil in the kitchen under a wall mounted extractor and the kitchen still filled up, so I wouldn't recommend this method.

I did look at those aamcle but I'm not sure they would be powerful enough. I did see somewhere someone using two together perhaps that's the way forward. There's so many types to choose from. I'm watching an inline one on the 'Bay, but I think i've been put off that now. No doubt something'll crop up.

That's a nice set-up danb. I do like the idea of a cooker hood, I'll keep my eyes on Fleabay for one. Perhaps I could make one fit somehow. Definitely looks the part. That's my mind made up I reckon. Thanks for the replies fellas. Happy New year to all.

I utilise a flexible tumble drier vent nose fitted to the boiler lid. This is directed out through the kitchen window and removes all of the steam without the need for a fan. You do have to make sure the hose is routed so as to avoid dips where condensate can build up.
I have thought about adding an in line fan (shower cubicle version) or trying out the tumble drier condenser kits to save putting the hose out of the window in inclement weather.

fd4c0fe2-0a93-4167-b581-674905c0696d.jpg

I use a stainless steel mixing bowl with the bottom cut out and trunking attached (thanks to BarnsleyBrewer for the idea). I've moved house since this photo was taken and I will need to re-arrange the set-up with some longer trunking and, I'm also thinking of fitting either an in-line fan, or one at the outlet, dragging out the steam.

recirc.jpg

Hey there,

Typically, the best solution to increase ventilation would be a single room Heat Recovery Unit, which uses a heat exchanger to recover up to 86% percent of heat which otherwise would be 'wasted' via normal extraction methods (extractor fans).

http://www.i-sells.co.uk/single-room-heat-recovery

The next best step would be a humidistat controlled extractor fan which have a cheaper initial outlay but a higher overall cost to run and you do not get any heat recovery aspect!

Sorry, great idea but my arms too short and pockets too deep for those heat exchanger thingies. Cost more than my shed!
That's a classy looking bit of kit dreyman.
I've committed myself to a cooker hood off EBay not 15 minutes ago just down the road. I hope I've made the right decision. I like the idea of an inline extractor and coupled with that stainless bowl as a lid very inventive and something to be proud of.
Thanks for the replies

Cooker hood should work fine. I have my HLT under our kitchen one.
One thing to watch out for though is if it is a used one the steam will loosen any legacy fat deposits and then they drip down.

Latest posts

Back