Extractor hood

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pottsworth

Regular.
Reaction score
I get quite a bit of condensation when brewing in the winter.

I tried putting in an extractor fan, but it hasn’t made any difference. I was thinking of trying to do something with a length of tumble dryer hose, with on end attached to the extractor fan, and the other end to some sort of large cone / hood above my kettle that is light enough to suspend from the ceiling while brewing, then take down.

Has anyone done anything similar? If so, what did you use for a cone / hood.

I personally have not but I have seen quite a few who have the white flexible expelair hose attached to lids (home made)for the boilers then straight to the expelair on the wall the only down side has been that some water (condensation)does collect in the flexible hose

Have you considered a garden incinerator lid? It's large enough to capture all of the vapour and any condensate would drip outside the kettle.

Big bertha she sucks like mad

Attachments

• IMG_20200120_171307_compress23.jpg
    IMG_20200120_171307_compress23.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 126
I bought a large industrial extractor from ebay a few years ago. It cost about £30 and my boiler sits below it. I had planned to make a hood and connect it to the extractor, but instead I mounted it to a piece of plywood and hung it in an open window. It works very well and even at this time of year I get no condensation in my utility room. This thing does shift a large amount of air and is relatively quiet. So I didn't bother making a hood for it.

IMG-0622.jpg

Back