Fabricated mash tun basket

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedgerowpete

Regular.
Reaction score
does anyone know a welder fabricator that can make a mash basket for my cook pot please.

350 diameter, 275mm deep, 105mm tall legs, would prefer stainless steel.

just looking for costs right now.

been through all theonline stuff and its either out of stock or the wrong size for what i want

Can't speak for OP, but my element would scorch a bag, so I'd need something in-between the two anyway.

I was looking for something on ebay yesterday when I saw these.. (from China / Hong Kong)
Just thought that I'll mention it..
I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for or if it would work......, anyway this is it..

s-l1600-2.jpg
s-l1600-3.jpg

This is what I need, but I can only ever find them dimensions. For me it is too short, too narrow and not long enough legs.

If anyone finds a larger version, let me know.

Buy a false bottom, tada you can use a BIAB bag with an element.. ;) I bought one from Powell brewing, then just extended the legs (they're just stainless bolts) to give my element and taps more space. I'd recommend a proper good quality BIAB bag too from the off, I tried lots of cheaper ones, sooner or later something goes wrong with them.

Buy a false bottom, tada you can use a BIAB bag with an element.. ;) I bought one from Powell brewing, then just extended the legs (they're just stainless bolts) to give my element and taps more space. I'd recommend a proper good quality BIAB bag too from the off, I tried lots of cheaper ones, sooner or later something goes wrong with them.

Also an option I'm willing to try, I've seen people use a stainless steel pizza tray with bolts, which is like the Powell Brewing one but would cost £15 instead of £50. Also thought of doing the same but with a cheap bbq grill, as it only really needs to stop the bag falling through.

I tried pizza trays, couldn't find one that didn't go rusty once exposed to wort. My wife went nuts, and told me I should have just bought the false bottom in the first place, instead of spending 3 lots of £16 and 1 lot of £6 on various DIY attempts.... lmao

I tried pizza trays, couldn't find one that didn't go rusty once exposed to wort. My wife went nuts, and told me I should have just bought the false bottom in the first place, instead of spending 3 lots of £16 and 1 lot of £6 on various DIY attempts.... lmao

I said stainless steel pizza trays, that's where you went wrong wink...

Forgot I did see that too, it's the right width but 15cm shorter than my kettle and I think 5cm legs would be too short too
which pot did you decide on? I use a similar height basket in my 38 litre pot, I find if I turn the element downwards the 5cm legs fit well, the wire mesh is a pain to keep clean, stubborn bits of grain collect in the joints, I did buy mine from china. and the one in the link is a different design.

I bought this about 3 months back, because the basket only holds so much grain and wanted a alternative for the high abv beers, only alteration I made was I snipped the feet with aviation tin snips and straightened the legs to 7.5 cm which clears my element tri nut by 0.5cm, and then I use a grain bag which can hold 16kg grain :laugh8: my pot is as previously mentioned a ss brewtech 10 gal, and it fits like a glove. at 35cm.

the false bottoms are sold out but they do get them in frequently and you have to be fast.

https://www.angelhomebrew.co.uk/en/...l-false-bottom-element-cover-pump-filter.html

which pot did you decide on? I use a similar height basket in my 38 litre pot, I find if I turn the element downwards the 5cm legs fit well, the wire mesh is a pain to keep clean, stubborn bits of grain collect in the joints, I did buy mine from china. and the one in the link is a different design.

I bought this about 3 months back, because the basket only holds so much grain and wanted a alternative for the high abv beers, only alteration I made was I snipped the feet with aviation tin snips and straightened the legs to 7.5 cm which clears my element tri nut by 0.5cm, and then I use a grain bag which can hold 16kg grain :laugh8: my pot is as previously mentioned a ss brewtech 10 gal, and it fits like a glove. at 35cm.

the false bottoms are sold out but they do get them in frequently and you have to be fast.

https://www.angelhomebrew.co.uk/en/...l-false-bottom-element-cover-pump-filter.html

Again, thanks for all your help and info!

I got the 15 gallon Brewtech, which is 40mm wide and 48mm tall internally. I could get the 30cm tall grain basket as I plan to do smaller 5-10 gallon batches to start with (just getting back into things) but I think I'd be pushing it with a 10 gallon mash and I might as well try to find something that will suit a bigger brew, if and when I go to full 15.

I have ordered a bag too, so am looking at false bottom options, the one you linked looks good so I'll keep an eye out. I liked the pizza pan idea but not sure, I might actually go with a BBQ grill, with a couple bolts, screws and washers. The gaps are bigger but it's really only to keep the bag off the element. I was looking at buying a grill the same as the one my little crappy BBQ to put on top of the kettle to let the grain bag rest and drain, the one I have is 42mm wide and has these sort of feet things which sits on the kettle perfectly and doesn't move, almost like it was made for it! Found the same on Amazon for a tenner.

I said stainless steel pizza trays, that's where you went wrong wink...

Nope. There are different grades of stainless steel, graded according to how resistant they are to corrosion. The steel in pizza trays, well, they're designed to go into hot, dry, ovens, do the maths.... The ones I tried were indeed so called stainless, and didn't like one bit been immersed in wort for 60 to 90 minutes at a time, even once... Signs of corrosion appearing after a single use.

The steel used in brewing equipment is usually either 304, or even higher marine grade stainless. It doesn't corrode when immersed in wort, and saves you a fortune in aborted DIY attempts. But honestly, it's your money, I have no horse in that race. lol I made my mistake and wasted my money. If you want to repeat my mistake, go for it, I wish you luck getting a pizza tray the exact right size, and of a stainless steel that actually does resist corrosion when used even once, let alone repeatedly. athumb..

That looks pretty solid David. Looks like with 6 nuts and 3 bolts you could very easily extend the legs if needed..

Nope. There are different grades of stainless steel, graded according to how resistant they are to corrosion. The steel in pizza trays, well, they're designed to go into hot, dry, ovens, do the maths.... The ones I tried were indeed so called stainless, and didn't like one bit been immersed in wort for 60 to 90 minutes at a time, even once... Signs of corrosion appearing after a single use.

The steel used in brewing equipment is usually either 304, or even higher marine grade stainless. It doesn't corrode when immersed in wort, and saves you a fortune in aborted DIY attempts. But honestly, it's your money, I have no horse in that race. lol I made my mistake and wasted my money. If you want to repeat my mistake, go for it, I wish you luck getting a pizza tray the exact right size, and of a stainless steel that actually does resist corrosion when used even once, let alone repeatedly. athumb..

I know mate - BEST BUY - 12inch PIZZA PAN 304 Surgical Stainless Steel

But like I said, I preferred the BBQ grill method instead, which is also 304

Back