Facebook

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a lot of people claiming how rubbish social media and Facebook is ... but seem to know so much about it.....

Freedom of will.

If you want to use it do so.
If you don’t don’t.
If you want to surf the background do so.

What does it matter !! And why whine about it if you choose to skip It.

It serves a purpose for some but not all, and it brings an element of joy to peoples lives.

Nothing is free in today’s digital age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't get me wrong, there are pitfalls and people need to slap themselves.
Peeps that sit all day long on social media and do these 'quizzes'...
If you click on a ''we can guess what type of dog suits you"
A) you will probably only do the quiz if you own a dog
B) you'll engineer -through natural human behaviour- to chose the dog you already own.
Then they get all indignant they are being targetted by adds for pooch parlours and dog jewellery if you chose a handbag breed or working dog harnesses and gun dog training if you chose a spaniel.

Last edited by a moderator:
. Rekindled old and dear friendships, put me in touch with new real friends and helped me help others in my community

To be honest people I lost contact with years ago are the sort of people I wasn't really friends with proper friends do not lose contact with each other.

I get targeted adverts at the side of my Facebook page. They're often for lingerie. Oooopps! Good job my dearly beloved doesn't do FB.
I've honestly no idea why I get these ads. They link to Ebay so maybe it's 'cos herself has perused knickers there.
Hope she buys some of the ones with the......................I'll keep those thoughts to myself.

Interesting to see how many people think that companies who are trawling your Facebook, Twitter, Google/YouTube accounts have no access to personal data and are only interested in directing a few targeted ads at you.
It goes way beyond simple adverts though. They are using AI's to scan every word you type, your social connections and every clue you give about your values and opinions to construct sophisticated psychological and socioeconomic profiles of you and using that to sell you goods but more importantly, to influence your social and political opinions.

CA are part of SCL Group

"SCL Group provides data, analytics and strategy to governments and military organizations worldwide. For over 25 years, we have conducted behavioral change programs in over 60 countries & have been formally recognized for our work in defense & social change".

The next biggie after social media is smart devises with all the big media giants currently filing patents that will allow your TV, your smart speaker and every other device with a network enabled camera, microphone or GPS to continually monitor everything you say or do.

ditch google - use duckduckgo for your searches

ditch gmail - plenty of others. Try protonmail

But don't go round judging everyone who doesn't, and don't slap ordinary folk because corporations with unprecedented access to our lives and loves are acting without decent ethics.

Interesting to see how many people think that companies who are trawling your Facebook, Twitter, Google/YouTube accounts have no access to personal data and are only interested in directing a few targeted ads at you.
It goes way beyond simple adverts though. They are using AI's to scan every word you type, your social connections and every clue you give about your values and opinions to construct sophisticated psychological and socioeconomic profiles of you and using that to sell you goods but more importantly, to influence your social and political opinions.

CA are part of SCL Group

"SCL Group provides data, analytics and strategy to governments and military organizations worldwide. For over 25 years, we have conducted behavioral change programs in over 60 countries & have been formally recognized for our work in defense & social change".

The next biggie after social media is smart devises with all the big media giants currently filing patents that will allow your TV, your smart speaker and every other device with a network enabled camera, microphone or GPS to continually monitor everything you say or do.

people will opt to be chipped before long

CA are part of SCL Group

Wish I could afford all these smart network microphone GPS camera's.

They'll never get me! I'm too skint!!! :confused:

people will opt to be chipped before long
Sadly, there's no need for chips. We allow pervasive CCTV and all the AI systems need is a shot of your face.
This is how the police quietly picked up many of the rioters in 2011,
Just think what those systems are capable of now.

To be honest people I lost contact with years ago are the sort of people I wasn't really friends with proper friends do not lose contact with each other.

....and yet, they do. All the time, Chippy. For all sorts of reasons.

People who are the very closest of friends drift apart or fall out. Distance develops, spiritually and physically.

And sometimes social media helps piece things back together, bit by bit. I know this from experience. And there are all the pangs of regret for having let things slide for so long, but that's countered by the joy of catching up with mates long lost, rekindling the old stories, and realising that despite everything that caused the distance, some of the best friendships are the ones that can endure in spite of adversity.

I will stick to my original thoughts on the subject, I don't use fakebook so any long lost friends I have will remain long lost.

I will stick to my original thoughts on the subject, I don't use fakebook so any long lost friends I have will remain long lost.

For balance, I'd have to make clear that I agree with the principle that 'friendship' in the Fb lingo is a largely empty construct. And, yes, many former friendships wither, whether Fb is involved or not.

I still have the odd text of an old mate from around 20 years ago who moved away. We had some great times in our teenage years...fishing,drinking,eating stupid hot curries and chasing ladies....but things change and you lose touch,get married have kids...buy houses..work..etc.You build a different life and nearly forget the past. ..
A couple of years ago he text out the blue saying he could come up "end of the week with his girlfriend and stop in my house and we could go our on the **** etc"...My reply was..I've got work,no room as we have 2 kids,wife works full time etc....his solution was I could phone in sick and his girlfriend wouldn't mind being left in my house alone or with my Mrs. ...
Nooooooo! He seemed a bit put out by my decision....
The thing is with this fb nonsense. ..I can see it as a way of keeping up with people you know,doing some business but having 10 squillion friends and sending them a picture of your dinner is a lonely place....I can't think of the last time I sent a picture to my mate depicting a plate of food...anyway each to their own I suppose if it makes you happy...

.I can see it as a way of keeping up with people you know

I can see it as being useful for that but what annoys me is people seem addicted to it i have a workmate who leaves his phone in his locker (we are not allowed to use them at work) if he leaves the room even for a couple of minutes the first thing he does when entering the room is go straight to his phone to check facebook, this happens over and over again throughout the day and the funny thing is he never spends more than a couple of seconds looking at it so i assume there is nothing new to read its as though he thinks he may be missing out on something if he doesn't check every couple of minutes, how sad is that.

Latest posts

Back