False bottom grainfather

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattyde05

Reaction score
Hi guys I am looking for a false bottom for my grainfather. From what I understand you can use the robobrew version as an upgrade to the grainfather. But can’t seem to find the correct one . The one I have found is the robobrew false bottom version 2 which states that it is to big for the grainfather . Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks matt

Yeah I’ve tried looking in there can’t seem to find the right one . Thanks for the help

Mine will probably be going up for sale, I found it was an absolute PIA. Lifted and floated on the boil. **** got underneath and burnt onto the bottom of my GF.

Oh right I didn’t know that could happen . Do you just scrap the bottom of your grainfather during the boil . I was just worried about the filter clogging up . Would a hop spider be a better idea do you think ? Thanks

Ok thanks for your reply . I’ve only done one brew so far on it , so still learning. Thanks

TOP TIP HERE!!!!

if you burn the base of your grain father , Purchase a price of brass say 30mm wide by 6mm thick by 200mm long. sharpen it like a chisel. then use it to scrape off the burn. Brass is softer than stainless and wont scratch. BOOM! dont say i dont help

Excellent thanks for the advice . Will definitely give that ago 👍🏻 I might be able to nick a bit from work lol

Mine will probably be going up for sale, I found it was an absolute PIA. Lifted and floated on the boil. **** got underneath and burnt onto the bottom of my GF.
Glad I read this because I was considering a false bottom.

I've never had an issue with the false bottom. I don't whirlpool tho but it sits very well in my grainfather. I think it was a robo brew one

Don't want to start another thread on this, so where's the best place to buy one now? The old style ones apparently now don't fit on the Grainfather

Don't want to start another thread on this, so where's the best place to buy one now? The old style ones apparently now don't fit on the Grainfather

BKT have them on pre order due in mid November if that helps
Thanks so much!

The pre order seems to be for the camlock conversion kit + the false bottom, advises it's at a discount, but seems negligible if you need to wait over a month for it.

I looked at these a few years ago for the time when physically I might not be able to do the lifting using my more traditional setup. My personal view is they are very expensive and probably not worth the bother. I use a good old plastic picnic box fitted with proper pro tap and a bazooka which allows running off without clogging, likewise by 14 gal boiler also has a pro tap and bazooka. Never has any probs. Both have to be cleared of course but without doubt so does the grainfather. You can get yourself set up for far less than what one of these costs. Take at look on The Hombrew Shop website.

I recently upgraded my Grainfather to handle recirculation blockages (due to hops and break protein). I didn't use a false-bottom because I had other options available (I'm sure a false-bottom is as effective.). I'd already figured the "filter" is only half the job ... I wrote it up here:

Backup Pump? - Home Brew Forum

Sorry, off-site link but I'm not writing it up again. The title is 'cos I contemplated a backup pump, but I'm hoping I've done enough to handle GF failings and wont need a pump.

Excuse my ignorance but why not just clean the maltpipe and bottom screen after the mash and while the wort is coming to a boil. Then just reinsert the maltpipe with the bottom screen and use that to filter the hops, would that not work just as well, or better than a false bottom? Interested in the opinions?

Latest posts

Back