Family car recommendations?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolutely appalling rear leg and head room, unfortunately.

This may be a concern for some but i bet like me most of us spend 90% of our time in the car alone and the rest with one other person i bet most here cannot remember the last time they took someone in the back of your car for more than half an hour.

It cracks me up in car reviews when they go on about the size of boots in cars all i have in mine is a few odds and ends oil and a couple of tools and a bulb set, and once a month its full of shopping, also reviewers seem obsessed with "scratchy plastics" what's that all about when was the last time you got in a car and felt all the surfaces to see if they were soft touch or hard plastic.

The rear leg room in a Skoda superb is huge. I have a Passat CC and the boot is massive. Not sure what the rear leg room is like as I've never sat in the back.

@Poochops

What age is it?

How have you found the reliability?

I like the Quashqui i think its one of the best looking SUV's around especially in black what put me off was in every video review i watched they said reliability is terrible -.

It’s 6 years old and I’ve had it 5, in that time I’ve put 4 tyres and a set of brake pads on it and serviced it once a year, it’s not let me down yet. When I was looking I read a lot of negative reviews which almost put me off but then I considered the sheer numbers of them on the road it’s no wonder there’s more than a handful of bad ones, but probably proportionately less than a lot of other cars. That said, I’d buy a Sportage before a Qashqai if I was in the market again

Last edited by a moderator:
My tip was one I used years ago, when looking for a decent runaround.

I looked at what private cab firms were using, based on the fact they generally pick something reliable, economic & practical, as the most common vehicle in their fleets ;)

The other big factor is your journey types. Correct me if I'm wrong, but many electric cars aren't as economical on the open road, prefering smaller in town trips. A mate of mine bought a Prius, thinking it would save him money on his 40 mile daily commute. But on the long fast roads it drank like Oliver Reed, because it used an underpowered engine to push it along when the electric ran out.

Whatever car I get, I aim for either Ford, Japanese or German (or their equivalent like Skoda, Seat). Afraid I see too many French cars on the hard shoulder to trust them 💥

My main three requirements for my car were rear leg room (for the kids), boot space (for all our junk!) and CO2 (low company car tax). 😁
my requirements were something easy to get in, decent power, reliable and how many crates of beer I can fit in boot :cool:

2018 suzuki swift sport - 4 crates
2013 mazda cx-5 - 8 crates
2019 suzuki vitara - 6 crates

When we took the swift abroad for a weekend it was a bit too small, The vitara's boot is good for the size of the car but not much legroom in the back. We don't miss the extra 2 crates the cx-5 could carry because 6 crates of belgian beer is around the £200 mark.

Recently bought a used Astra Estate 1.7 CDTi, has all the toys you could want, and as it's the SRi version, goes and handles pretty well.
Plenty of space, and pretty decent MPG.
Only downside so far is that the DPF clogs if used for only short trips, but a 20 minute "spirited" drive soon clears it...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back