Fancy a project and an upgrade

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking to move to a larger system than my BZ 30l. I want to brew larger batches to 'share the love' a bit more with friends and family. I've been very surprised as the number of people who've taken an interst in my home brew hobby and who are always keen to take beer off my hands. Problem is I want to keep some for myself.

So looking at larger capacity system, but before jumping straight into a larger all in one system like a larger BZ or similar I quite fancy building something and looking at a three vessel HERMS setup. Don't know a huge amount about them. Done a bit of research and though I've sussed out how they work (loosely) I struggle to find a good comprehensive pro vs. con of such a system. One pro I perceive is the ability to do double batches, so mashing in again as you're boiling the first batch, so offering some flexibility.

Anyone out there running one of these systems and have also got experience with an all in one and can offer up experiences, opinions and pro's and cons? Easy to get used to? and convert and scale recipes from my BZ?

Thinking about a 10 gallon 3 vessel system so I have the flexibility to do 20 gallon double batches when I want to do larger batches.

Thanks.

Looking to move to a larger system than my BZ 30l. I want to brew larger batches to 'share the love' a bit more with friends and family. I've been very surprised as the number of people who've taken an interst in my home brew hobby and who are always keen to take beer off my hands. Problem is I want to keep some for myself.

So looking at larger capacity system, but before jumping straight into a larger all in one system like a larger BZ or similar I quite fancy building something and looking at a three vessel HERMS setup. Don't know a huge amount about them. Done a bit of research and though I've sussed out how they work (loosely) I struggle to find a good comprehensive pro vs. con of such a system. One pro I perceive is the ability to do double batches, so mashing in again as you're boiling the first batch, so offering some flexibility.

Anyone out there running one of these systems and have also got experience with an all in one and can offer up experiences, opinions and pro's and cons? Easy to get used to? and convert and scale recipes from my BZ?

Thinking about a 10 gallon 3 vessel system so I have the flexibility to do 20 gallon double batches when I want to do larger batches.

Thanks.
I do 2 x 10galls in a typical brewing day sometimes more (3 x) if it's high summer and it's a (rare) nice day. I certainly do begin mash no 2 while the first sparging is in the boiler. I don't have any fancy equipment though. Just a mash tun, a hot liquor supply with a sparging arm and a boiler. No apps, programs or software to worry about either. The most advanced kit I think I have is a set of Post Office approved scales with a detachable front which is great for measuring out the grains. I did take a look at this grainfather thingy a few years ago but concluded (for me) it wasn't worth the fuss or the money.

Back