Fancy a trip to Muntons? Actually, we'd really like your help...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Spratt,

As a novice, I don't know what a Propper starter is, could you explain more as I need to understand what I'm asking , otherwise perhaps someone else with deeper knowledge will feel better qualified to ask.

Mark

Hi Spratt,

As a novice, I don't know what a Propper starter is, could you explain more as I need to understand what I'm asking , otherwise perhaps someone else with deeper knowledge will feel better qualified to ask.

Mark

Yeast starters are used when you want to give your liquid yeast a bit of welly, either because it's a bit old or because you're doing a strong beer. You take your old yeast and multiply it up in a yeast starter which essentially is a fairly low gravity wort. It's normally made by taking about 150g of malt extract, adding ten times that weight in boiled water (1500ml in this case) and then boiling that for quarter of an hour (to make sure it's sterile). Once it's cooled to room temp you add your old yeast to it and leave it for about a day, stirring it regularly if possible, and then use the resulting yeast (which will probably be twice as much as you pitched) for your proper brew. I'm sure some-one will be able to post a link to a discussion on here which will explain it far better than me.

What the Propper stuff does

https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/?s=propper&search_id=1&post_type=product

is get you to the stage of just adding your own yeast. So it is a sterile weak wort all ready for you rather than having to do the mixing and boiling and cooling

Hope you have a good time at Muntons - I used to grow malting barley for them when I was farming.

David

Some very negative comments on here considering Muntons are putting this on at their own expense in order to improve their offering to market, which in turn will benefit all kit brewers.
Yes, some people are being unnecessarily rude. If I didn't live on the other side of the planet (ok, west wales) I'd be interested.

Good morning all, I have communicated to those attending but I'm sure it will come to no surprise that in light of the Coronavirus, visitors to the site has now been restricted and this event will now be postponed BUT hopefully not cancelled.
Really sorry to all and thank you for expressing your interest. We are disappointed but clearly health and safety must come first.

Everyone's feedback in this feed has also been really useful too and I always welcome any feedback.

Watch this space! Thanks all.

Good morning all, I have communicated to those attending but I'm sure it will come to no surprise that in light of the Coronavirus, visitors to the site has now been restricted and this event will now be postponed BUT hopefully not cancelled.
Really sorry to all and thank you for expressing your interest. We are disappointed but clearly health and safety must come first.

Everyone's feedback in this feed has also been really useful too and I always welcome any feedback.

Watch this space! Thanks all.
No problem, maybe it’s stuck at 1020
Joke

Glorious weather for traveling on what would have been the day of our visit, I would of gone on the (motor) bike on a day like today !

Totally understandable and sensible to postpone but sad never the less !

Looking forward to when it gets rescheduled visit .

Mark

Latest posts

Back