Fast brew recommendation - running low on time

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Edwards

Reaction score
Hi, guys.

I'm looking to do either a IPA or a Red Ale...but need to have it finished by March 15th. So timing is a little tight. Had planned to get a Cwtch extract kit but worried it will take too long. Anyone got some advice on a quick recipe that's bomb proof? It's for my wife's 40th and already have a nice Weisse ready to rock and roll.

It's a bit like sex, you can get it out of the way quickly but you can bet all parties won't be happy with it. :no:
I totally appreciate what you're saying. But I am where I am. Arguably I've got 11 days because the party is on the 17th.

Sadly I can't offer any advice given the timescale. If you do a manage to brew something drinkable for the 17th let us know how it turns out since this question does come up occasionally.

Never done it myself but I done a brew Wednesday and it was fermented out by Sunday. I massively overpitched because i'd made a starter for two batches but was only able to get one done and itll be a number of weeks before i can brew again. So it got a double dose of yeast and was at (or roundabouts FG - 1.010) within 4 days. If I was in a rush I may have bottled Monday but the risk is it might actually want to go a lot lower, putting it at risk of bottle bombing/gushing. As it stands it'll be bottled around the 16th march as I'm away until 14th anyway.

I believe others have and do turn beers out very quickly. I haven't but if I was going to I would get plenty of yeast in there.

That beer is an American IPA type, I messed up water volumes so instead of 25l at 1.050 I got 30l at 1.040. At 4%ish I'm happy enough but maybe going for a slightly lower OG will help with a quicker fermentation. It was an American pale ale yeast I used so again not concerned about overpitching as it's a clean yeast letting the hops come forward.

Crashing at the end of fermentation (rather quickly), applying heat during carbing and crashing again for conditioning are also things I would do in this situation.

Again these are just my thoughts on how I would do it and can't actually vouch for its success.

I don't know if you use cornies, or wpuld be willing to get yourself one. I've never used them but I believe it greatly reduces carbing and conditioning time. At a standard 19litre it's not going to make much of a difference at a big party though. You could get a few though!

Cornie keg to force carb is probably your best option given your time scale, some form of nutrients added and perhaps something like Nottingham yeast at a fairly high temp north of 21c should see it ferment out very quickly giving it a week or so to clear.

You can do but the key is:
(1) Make sure the fermentation is as clean as possible. The best way to do that is to overpitch. Do the cwtch kit, add the yeast then chuck in another 3 or 4 packets of yeast, all rehydrated in luke warm water (~30C) about 30 mins before pitching. The wilko beer yeast is your cheapest bet but US-05 would be better if you want to spend that sort of money. Just make sure its a clean fast-fermenting yeast. Better still, pitch it on to an entire yeast cake if you happen to have a brew that can be bottled or racked. Ideally, you want to have the fermentation finished in 3 days, another 2 days to clear up and dry hop, then another day for finings/cold crash.
(2) Mask green flavour. Hops would work; add the supplied hops then add some more, like 50-100g.
(3) Use finings and cold crash because you won't have time to clear it naturally, and if serving to the non beer lovers then you probably don't want it to be too murky (... and the Cwtch kit is notoriously murky). Not sure what the weather is like up in derby, but it's perfect cold-crashing weather down here.

EDIT) Also, give it 5 days in the warm (25C-ish) to carbonate if carbonating naturally, then a day to chill before serving. That makes 11 days if I'm not mistaken. Force carbing with a corny would be your best bet though. Get your skates on!

Hopped wheat beer with extra dark spraymalt to change the colour. The hops and colour will trick people so it won't just look like you've got wheats on. I made one recently and I love it. Cascade, columbus, citra and galaxy I used for the hops but just use whatever.

Brew 20-22c for 5 days then cold crash for 2 days or more and get it into a corny or pub barrel and burst/shake carbonate it and leave it for a few days. It doesn't even have to fully settle as wheat yeast tastes fine. Brew warmer if you're not trying to hide the esters or have a yeast that isn't too distinct.

I'm a **** brewer so it'll probably work for you if I made it work.

Tons of time, I’ve drunk an IPA tonight that I brewed on 10 February.

Tons of time, I’ve drunk an IPA tonight that I brewed on 10 February.

It's a well known fact that, in extreme circumstances, you can drink your own urine; and I strongly suspect that my own urine would taste slightly better than a 15 day old IPA. :wave:

Personally, for a party on the 17th March I wouldn't even attempt to brew something and then serve it up to anyone who I classed as a "friend"! I would just nip down to Aldi and buy a sufficient number of their "Special Selection" beers.

That way I would still have the friends so, after I'd sobered up from the New Year's Eve Party, I would start brewing my beer for the 17th March 2019. :thumb:

It's a well known fact that, in extreme circumstances, you can drink your own urine; and I strongly suspect that my own urine would taste slightly better than a 15 day old IPA. :wave:

Personally, for a party on the 17th March I wouldn't even attempt to brew something and then serve it up to anyone who I classed as a "friend"! I would just nip down to Aldi and buy a sufficient number of their "Special Selection" beers.

That way I would still have the friends so, after I'd sobered up from the New Year's Eve Party, I would start brewing my beer for the 17th March 2019. :thumb:

Tasted just fine. I’ve never drunk my own urine, but I suspect it would lack the bright tropical hop flavour of this beer. The other major advantage for brewing quickly is NE style beers are supposed to be hazy, so no worries about waiting for it to clear.

Attachments

• BCFCC8D5-375E-4991-A9BE-AF2248490709.jpeg
    BCFCC8D5-375E-4991-A9BE-AF2248490709.jpeg
    28.1 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back