Fast fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I have just completed my second ag brew in the robobrew. All seems to have gone well and the first brew, an exmoor gold clone tastes great. What I am confused about is I brewed an esb last Friday and it seems to have finished fermenting already (Monday). I've not taken an sg reading as it seems a bit soon and I don't want open the Fv. The OG was 1056 and the yeast was mg empire ale yeast. Any pointers will be very welcome. Many thanks Robster

Fermentation can certainly finish that quickly. I once pitched single vial of WLP028 (Edinburgh ale) into 20L of a 1050 wort at around tea time on day 1 and by day 2 AM the gravity was down to 1012 and all but finished. Not always ideal though.

If you're basing this on airlock activity there are various reasons why you could be seeing no bubbles but things are still ticking along internally. Leaky seal on bucket for example.

The only way for you to know for sure is to take a SG reading. It shouldn't hurt the beer if you're quick and sanitary about it.

f51.gif

The above diagram is an excellent representation of the fermentation process and is from John Palmer's "How to Brew". I've copied this picture to the forum previously.

This is the link

http://howtobrew.com/book/section-1/fermentation/re-defining-fermentation

The whole section on fermentation is worth scanning as it is easily the least understood aspect of Home Brewing.

I've just put the brew belt on as the gravity is 1018, tried the sample jar but it didn't have much taste at all. Will leave it a few days and dry hop, then see where we are from there.

I leave mine for 2 weeks, minimum. Time is your (rather annoying) friend!

Back