Fast fermentation

Discussion in 'General Beer Brewing Discussion' started by robster62, Apr 15, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Apr 15, 2019 #1

robster62

robster62

robster62

Hi all, I have just completed my second ag brew in the robobrew. All seems to have gone well and the first brew, an exmoor gold clone tastes great. What I am confused about is I brewed an esb last Friday and it seems to have finished fermenting already (Monday). I've not taken an sg reading as it seems a bit soon and I don't want open the Fv. The OG was 1056 and the yeast was mg empire ale yeast. Any pointers will be very welcome. Many thanks Robster

2. Apr 15, 2019 #2

JonBrew

JonBrew

JonBrew

Regular.

Fermentation can certainly finish that quickly. I once pitched single vial of WLP028 (Edinburgh ale) into 20L of a 1050 wort at around tea time on day 1 and by day 2 AM the gravity was down to 1012 and all but finished. Not always ideal though.

If you're basing this on airlock activity there are various reasons why you could be seeing no bubbles but things are still ticking along internally. Leaky seal on bucket for example.

The only way for you to know for sure is to take a SG reading. It shouldn't hurt the beer if you're quick and sanitary about it.

3. Apr 16, 2019 #3

Slid

Slid

Slid

Forum Friend Moderator

[​IMG]

The above diagram is an excellent representation of the fermentation process and is from John Palmer's "How to Brew". I've copied this picture to the forum previously.

This is the link

http://howtobrew.com/book/section-1/fermentation/re-defining-fermentation

The whole section on fermentation is worth scanning as it is easily the least understood aspect of Home Brewing.

4. Apr 16, 2019 #4

robster62

robster62

robster62

I've just put the brew belt on as the gravity is 1018, tried the sample jar but it didn't have much taste at all. Will leave it a few days and dry hop, then see where we are from there.

5. Apr 17, 2019 #5

Duxuk

Duxuk

Duxuk

Landlord.

I leave mine for 2 weeks, minimum. Time is your (rather annoying) friend!